Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dk_dk
Super User
Super User

CosmosDB Account Key stopped working for dataset refresh on PowerBI Service

Hi,

I have made a simple report based on an Azure CosmosDB database. I have an account key which worked in PowerBI desktop to set up the datasource, do the query and publish. The published report was set to auto-refresh daily, and that worked fine for a few weeks, until a few days ago I started getting credential error (both for scheduled refresh, and trying manually on the PowerBI service).

I know the account key still works because I can still refresh with the same credentials in PowerBI desktop, and then republish the report and the data would update. It is just the refresh through PowerBI service that is broken for some reason.

I found this thread with a similar problem, but the accepted solution there does not help me.

If anyone has an idea on how to fix this, your suggestions are most welcome. It is quite cumbersome otherwise to open and re-publish from desktop every time I want to update the dataset.

Br,

dk

2 REPLIES 2
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dk_dk,

Could you provide some screenshots of your issue?

When data refresh failure because of password change or expired credentials, please refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios#dat...

vxulinmstf_0-1632377387352.png

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Hi @v-xulin-mstf ,

azuredb_refresh1.pngazuredb_refresh2.png

See the screenshots above. When I click edit credentials and enter the Account key for the cosmos db I get the above error, with status code 400.

However, I am able to manually refresh the same dataset in powerbi desktop using the same credentials, and then publish the updated report to the powerbi service. I have tried all 4 privacy level settings as a troubleshooting step - same error every time.

Br,

dk

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors