Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dlak
Regular Visitor

Cortana not working for one specific test case whereas works for others

I have an imported dataset and a list of test cases which is added as a page-level filter for a Cortana specific designed page.

Let us call the test cases as testcase1, testcase2 and testcase3.

When I do a cortana search "Test Cortana page for testcase1", "Test Cortana page for testcase3", it works fine. Whereas when I search it for testcase2, i.e. "Test Cortana page for testcase2", nothing comes up. In QnA testcase2 works just fine. Any suggestions.

9 REPLIES 9
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@dlak

I just tired the Cortana on Win10 x64 version 1607, it works well when I do a Cortana search using several different page-level filters. So it may be related to your specific case. Could you please share your Cortana report and the page level filters? I can try to do the same search on the same report to see if I can repro it.

BTW, when a new dataset or custom Cortana Answer Page is added to Power BI and enabled for Cortana, it can take up to 30 minutes for results to begin appearing. Logging in and out of Windows 10, or otherwise restarting the Cortana process in Windows 10, will allow new content to appear immediately.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi Herbert,

I got it to work by re-uploading it. Thank you for your suggestions below.

Anyways, now I have a different issue which isn't getting resolved even by re-uploading the pbix. The issue is that Cortana search queries are not working, i.e. if I go to the Q&A section and type in the query it comes back fine but the same isn't coming back on Cortana on Windows or even on https://app.powerbi.com/cortana/test. I have waited for a day, so time isn't a constraint here. It was working well before, sample question being "Highest sold product in September 2016". Please note that it works fine on Q&A, just like a charm. This doesn't involve a Cortana specifically designed page.

Thanks,

Deepak

@dlak

Have you tried to create the answer page to improve answers from Cortana? Or you only want to use Cortana without specifying answer page and just with specific question like "Highest sold product in September 2016"?

Cortana not working for one specific test case whereas works for others_1.jpgCortana not working for one specific test case whereas works for others_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Cortana pages are working for me as well. I would like to get it to work without answer pages. Is it working for you without the cortana page?

@dlak

I’ve tried it and found that I also could not get PBI answer in Cortana without the Cortana page. I’ll report it internally and update here once I get response from Power BI team.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you Herbert. Please share the update once you have one. This is impacting the demos that we have scheduled and in order to show the wonderful integration between Power BI and Cortana we need to get this working.

Thanks,

Deepak

Hi Deepak,

We recently removed the capability of creating visuals using natural language within Cortana based on the feedback we have received. You can still create Cortana sized report pages and retrieve them through Cortana. You can also continue to set filters on those report pages using natural language.

This is something we would love to hear more feedback about. Looks like different customers use Power BI in Cortana differently. Please let us know how you have been using Power BI in Cortana and how this change is impacting you.

Thanks,

Fetiye

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @fetiyek 

Cortana integration with QNA of power bi is it still not implemented. As I am unable to get Cortana to retrieve answers from power bi reports as it is working with QNA. How long are we supposed to wait for this feature?

Hi Fetiye,

Doesn't the removal of this wonderful integration feature, makes it a little obsolete and removes the strength of the integration. We have our demos which contains a big section towards the integration of the two. Removal of this means that you need to know what user could ask Cortana and then create those pages. If something new comes up then we would have to keep on creating new pages and for the new users we would have to give them the list of questions they could ask Cortana. Don't you think, this removes the actual integration piece and makes it more of an answer machine with predefined questions and answers.

Thanks,

Deepak

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors