Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

odraode
Frequent Visitor

Cortana integration Issue

Good evening,

today I'm trying Cortana Intergration with Power BI Service. And i think I've done all necessary setting up but Cortana doesn't show me any result on my PC.

Hope someone of you can help my understand why and suggest my some test to perform.

In the following more details on my settings:

• This is my win version

WinVer.PNG

• I've added my Power BI account to my PC

Business Account.PNG

• O365 integration in Cortana is "ok" with my Power BI account configured

O365 in Cortana.png

• The DataSet in PowerBI has Cortana enabled

Cortana in Power BI.PNG

• If I try the string "" in Q&A I get the correct report

Q&A.PNG

• If I try the string "" in Cortana on my PC I get nothing (the same with other strings)

Cortana.png

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Regards,

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

we tried this today, used all the settings as described by Microsoft and also in this topic. We also used a Microsoft Account for login and Englisch language settings.

When cortana is asked a question for Power BI is seems that the metadata is recognized by power bi. The symbol of power bi appears and the report in which the data is contained.

screen1.png

But when trying to show the data the following error message occurs:

"I'm having trouble loading this data from Power BI. You can open Power BI directly or try again in a litte bit."

We tried all day and couldn't get it to work!

screen2.png

We tried the online test apps.powerbi.com/cortana/test which worked without problems.

We tried to publish the data as Public Website, no change, still not working.

Any help is appreciated!

Best regards

Stefan

PatrickPilz
Frequent Visitor

I am also playing around with it. I got it to work with Windows 10 build 10586 on A Surface Pro 3. I also have it running on a Lumia 830 with Version 1511 of Windows Mobile. The biggest issue I have on these two devices is the 'best match' which a lot of times finds a 'best match' on the web before it finds it in PowerBI. It seems that 'best match' is weighed a lot in favor of time rather than completeness. It also does not change the 'best match' if PowerBI provides a better content match, but provides that slower. So it seems at least.

It seems to be that the requirements to work are:
- Connect work or school account in windows
- Connect work or school account in Cortana
- Enable Cortana search on the dataset in PowerBI
- Create Cortana Pages in PowerBI and add the question phrases (to increase 'matches' in PowerBI).

Try typing the Natural Language query and wait for results of PowerBI to show. Like I said earlier, it seems to be also a timing problem. When I use voice, I cannot control when the search request is sent, and it seems to be to fast to find suggested results in PowerBI. If I type, I usually see the result suggestions later on the screen, and at least can select.

I was unable to do a voice search on my windows phone, even though the identical search phrase worked on Surface Pro 3.

A lot of people miss the last one, which makes it easier to validate wheter the configuration works.

On iOS, I was not able to get it to work. It seems that you cannot add a work/school account in addition to the live account you need to enter in Cortana. (I got the work and live account with the same email address).

I do not have an Android device at my disposal, so I cannot tell whether this works yet. Does anyone tried PowerBI questions in Cortana on an Android device?

- Create Cortana Pages in PowerBI and add the question phrases (to increase 'matches' in PowerBI).

Hello, thanks. If I'm not wrong I've done the exact same steps. What do you think? Can you confirm that from the screenshots above?

Thanks!

It may also be a language support issue. Just for fun, I would see if you get different results if you switch Cortana to US English.

I have the same issue here - tried all of the above but still no joy 

It seems there is another issue. Somehow, the version numbers are somewhat confusing. My Lumia 830 says that I run OS Build 10.0.14295.1000. To make it work though, I needed to install the Windows Insider app, and install with "Insider Slow" the most current build. I did not get it to work with the current "Production" release, nor with the "Release Preview". "Insider Fast" left my phone in an endless loop rebooting and crashing.

Confusing is, even though there was a major update installed on the phone, the release version number showing in the phone remained the same. Still build 1511 with the version number above. Different software, same version number.

I found another issue. I have not been able to entirely replicate it: The service seems to work on my phone intermittingly. Entering the sames search term on my Lumia 830 suggests sometimes a query from Power BI, sometime it does not. On my surface Pro the same thing keeps happening. My suspicion is that this has to do with Cortana indexing the personal content in the cloud. Whenever I have the issue that Power BI does not appear in Cortana, I see under "My Stuff" that "Results may be incomplete while we are still indexing your stuff". It is not the other way around though, "Still indexing my stuff" does not mean that Cortana does not work.

In saw in other posts, that they suggest logging out and back into Office 365. I am not sure that this is the answer. It seems that patience actually works too.

One more note: During the Data Insight Summit was a talk on Cortana,

It was stated that there is a little bug in Windows. In case that you log on to windows, while there is no connectivity to the internet, Cortana does not work with PowerBI. It can delay up to 30 minutes. You can kill the Cortana Task to force the resolution earlier.

Watch the video, the issue is being talked about during the last 10 minutes or so....

Still stuck with this issue. I found also something more: using this test page (https://app.powerbi.com/cortana/test) instead of local Cortana I'm able to reach the reports. So I believe in a local setting problem...

Enyone else with this issue?

Enyone able to support me?

Thanks a lot!

Anonymous
Not applicable

can someone confirm that this testpage is still working? (https://app.powerbi.com/cortana/test)

i can only see a black rectangle and on the header the blue cortana circle, any input in field "Utterance" is ignored. Also no luck to get the integration working on my local win10 desktop 😞

Thanks for the link.  I managed to get it working after stepping through the Windows 10 Cortana setup.  I put a postfix 'Power BI' on my query and it pulled up the model correctly.  I did test the Cortana test app first.

Hello, thanks. If I'm not wrong I've done the exact same steps. What do you think? Can you confirm that from the screenshots above?

Thanks!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm on the exact same release of Windows 10 as yourself and I can't get it to work either. I wonder if they broke it. I've disabled and reenabled O365 connection in Cortana, etc. Still nada.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors