Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UweG
Frequent Visitor

Correct setup to limit download of underlying data

Hello Power BI community!

Following scenario:

We have a Premium environment and would like to allow a limited group of users to download underlying data from a specific Power BI App while the entire Organization should be able to use reports and dashboards but only be allowed to download summarized data via the same App.

What would be the correct / recommended setup for that?

2 REPLIES 2
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @UweG ,

Sorry for that, but currently we can only control who can export data from visual and control what level of data can be exported by the user who have export permission.

Based on this document, These limitations and considerations apply to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service, including Power BI Pro and Premium.

• To export the data from a visual, you need to have Build permission for the underlying dataset.
  • Export using Underlying data won't work if an administrator or report designer has disabled this feature.
  • Power BI admins can disable the export of data.

3.PNG13.PNG

We can only disable the export data feature for specific users or make only the summarized can be exported. Sorry for that, but I also not found an effective solution to achieve your requirement that control data exported level for different user in same app.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answer @v-lid-msft - Dong Li, even so that's not an answer I hoped to get.

The only work around I currently see would be doublicating the App with different settings which would mean additional administration and maintenance.

Looks like I identified a constraint that needs to be further looked into, so I add my scenario (link to this post) to this post on ideas.powerbi.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors