Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MattN4
Helper I
Helper I

Copying and creating reports but not dataset

Hi All,

There seems to be no way to enable end users to have the ability to create new reports, without also having the ability to edit existing reports and having access to delete or refresh the dataset.

I have a pbix file created in desktop. It has the data model and sample report. I publish this to a workspace. I can see both the report and datset. I have 2 types of end user, read only and edit.

I know I can set the read only to members or publish to an app. But I want my other users to be able to make new reports, the trouble is they also have access to the dataset which they can refresh (which I don't want) and delete (which I don't want).

How can I enable this very basic requirement? Create a copy of an existing report or a create a new report without the ability to bring the whole thing crashing down for the rest of the users by deleting a dataset?

Also it's possible for a user to download the pbix file, edit the dataset and republish to the service. So there is very limited control here. we must be able to protect the dataset from change.

3 REPLIES 3
lrACN
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I still don't understand how I can have an indepentent copy of my report - WITH ITS DATASET - (not depending from any updates applied on the original dataset) without publishing twice with different names the same content.

I would like to have

---------------------------

INITIAL SITUATION

Report "Name 1" "Dataset1", already published some time ago.

FINAL SITUATION

Report "Name1" "Dataset1" + Report "Name2 "Dataset2". (same data, different objects pairs!)

If I re-publish Name1+Dataset1, overwriting that with new data, will no have effect on Dataset2. I still can see Report "Name2" with the original data as it was saved as "Dataset2", and not any difference as it was cloned.

---------------------------

Is this FINAL SITUATION possible in some way, AFTER publishing?  I'm Pro user, owner of the group, creator of the .pbi project in Desktop and owner of the workspace, I think I have no restrictions anywhere.  Actually if I use "save a copy", any upload to the dataset will have effect on the copy.

Please provide a solution / suggestion, related to this exact purpose.

Many thanks

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MattN4

Let users to copy and create reports without the ability to bring the whole thing crashing down for the rest of the users by deleting a dataset, you could create an organizational content pack including datasets and reports.

Users can connect to this organizational content pack and make a copy to customize it, their work on their own copy does not affect the source, the original content pack, or other users.

Here is for your reference how to create an organizational content pack.

As for “Also it's possible for a user to download the pbix file, edit the dataset and republish to the service”, in this scenario, I’m afraid it is not possible.

To download the file, you must have edit access to the report, this is to say if you publish this to a workplace, you need make members to edit it.

Aslo, downloading the file will not work with reports originally created in the Power BI service, including content packs.

Best Regards
Maggie

Thanks but this does not solve the issue.

I have users that view the report, and users that can edit the report, these edits need to be visable to all, not just on their own version.

This is very limiting. I don't see why there cannot be a parameter that lets an admin select what is editable conteent I.e. Reports yes, dashboards yes, datasets no.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors