Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mohanad-Mustafa
Advocate III
Advocate III

Copy visual From One Template to Another in Power BI Online(Same Workspace)

Hello Team,

Are we able to copy one visual from one report template to another report template where both templates exist in the same workspace?

I am able to copy the visual within the same template but not outside the template I am ediiting. It seems that the clipboard doesn't even see the copy info as I am not able to paste in text file just as a test. 

I am aware of the option that provides save as a copy, but that option will not work for me as we have variety of report templates that are restricted by specific user access.

Any feedback is highly appreciated as it takes a lot of time to create the same visual for 100 of different report templates.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mohanad-Mustafa
Advocate III
Advocate III

Guys I found the solution after ton of searching, we will have to be on the same page when we are trying to copy and paste a certain visual from one template to another in Power BI Online. Here is the link to the solution:-

https://powerbi.tips/2018/01/move-visuals-between-reports/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mohanad-Mustafa
Advocate III
Advocate III

Guys I found the solution after ton of searching, we will have to be on the same page when we are trying to copy and paste a certain visual from one template to another in Power BI Online. Here is the link to the solution:-

https://powerbi.tips/2018/01/move-visuals-between-reports/

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @Mohanad-Mustafa ,

I understand that you are saying your are doing this online.  Have you tried to do it in desktop?  I would try that as a test - you might get  a better error message if it doesn't work in desktop.  If it does work in desktop then I would try doing it in a two separate instances of the same browser - two tabs of Edge for example where you copy from one to the other.  

And. if it is truly marked as a "template" do you have rights to modify the template that you are copying to?  Are you an owner/admin in the workspace and on each template?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks for your reply @collinq , also in the desktop app, you can't copy one visual from one report to another, I have tried opening new tabs, new browser page and even different browsers like Safari,Edge or Chrome, no luck, it seems that you can only copy a visual within the same report template. Were you able to do this? Yes I am the workspace owner/admin and Iwas the one that created the report templates and I was the one who uploaded the datasets to begin with 

Hey @Mohanad-Mustafa ,

So, I guess what I was doing in Desktop was opening two templates and then I was copying from template to template and then doing a "save as" and overwriting the template name with itself.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

You are acutally right, it does work in Power BI desktop but it doesn't work in the online platofrm unfortunately, perhaps its a browser limitation, any other suggestion please? Thanks 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors