Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gaurrdentons
Helper I
Helper I

Copy and Edit report for Free User

Hi,

I am Power BI Admin role and have one query where to provide editing reports in Power BI Services.

I want to allow business users (with free license) to copy (preferably in another workspace, where they are Admin) and edit reports, in Power BI Services only (not Desktop)  and we have Premium capacity.

Are Contributor roles enough to allow users to copy and edit reports or Build permission will work or do we need a Pro license only to make it work?

Please guide me on this.

Thanks

Ritesh

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

Free users are able to view reports hosted on premium capacity. However they can't edit reports in the service. To do that they need pro licences.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

I think (although may be wrong as haven't tried)... if a free user has build rights on a dataset in premium they could create a report in their "my workspace", connect to the dataset in power bi desktop (and excel) and publish it to "my workspace".

Hope that might be sufficient for your needs. 

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Have a read of

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/service-features-license-type

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

Free users are able to view reports hosted on premium capacity. However they can't edit reports in the service. To do that they need pro licences.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thanks Ben for your reply.

Will Build permission makes any difference?

I think (although may be wrong as haven't tried)... if a free user has build rights on a dataset in premium they could create a report in their "my workspace", connect to the dataset in power bi desktop (and excel) and publish it to "my workspace".

Hope that might be sufficient for your needs. 

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors