Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OB
Helper II
Helper II

Copy a shared report in Power BI Service

Can anybody confirm the expected Power BI Service behaviour when:

A report has been shared (no PBI App, just a report) with a user and a Build access on the dataset has been granted as well. 

• Should user be able to copy that report when they open it Power BI Service to view it?
  • Should user be able to copy it when they open the Dataset Discovery page from the Dataset Hub and view the related report there?

Based on testing, it looks like only if the person has access to the workspace where the dataset resides they get the menu option to Save a copy of the report. Note that dataset sharing among workspaces has been enabled in the Admin center.

The link below about report copying only talks about copying from workspace to workspace and about copying from a published app. The listed prerequisites are Power BI Pro licence and Build access on the dataset.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-copy-reports 

I assumed the above means that a Pro user may open in a browser a shared report with Build access but without access to the workspace where that dataset is and copy the report to the workspace they own, but this seems not be the case.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OB ,

By my test, recipient only has build permission of dataset cann't save a copy either when they open it in Power BI Service or when they open the Dataset Discovery page, they need at least the Contributor role in the workspace.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OB ,

By my test, recipient only has build permission of dataset cann't save a copy either when they open it in Power BI Service or when they open the Dataset Discovery page, they need at least the Contributor role in the workspace.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you!  I've finally been able to test this with my team and can confirm this too.  The user can't copy the report when they don't have access to the workspace where the dataset resides, even when both the report and the dataset are shared with them. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @OB 

I would think that sharing a report is where the report is being shared.

Yes the user is then able to then create a new report off the dataset because they have got build permissions.

I do think that as you said when a user has got access within an app workspace, they could then click on Save As and then save it to another app workspace where they have permissions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors