Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ronniekapoor

Convert .pbit to .pbix using powershell APIs

Hi,

I have a PowerBI .pbit file which is without data and i need to create a pbix file from .pbit file using any form of automation technique, be it PowerShell API or any other except PowerBI Desktop.

The main intent is to perform automation for publishing .pbix report to PowerBI Service using Azure DevOps/PowerShell. The .pbix file being very large in nature is a drawback for the system. Hence i am looking for a way by which i can publish .pbit file directly to PowerBI Service or convert it to .pbix file first using automation tasks and then publish it. 

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thanks and Regards

Ronnie Kapoor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ronniekapoor ,

Based on my test. We cannot achieve your goal currecntly and there is no work around for that. BTW, if we try to publish the pbit file to service, we need to save it to pbix before that.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ronniekapoor

Hi ,

Is there any way to convert PBIT into PBIX automatically, other than by opening PBI Desktop ?

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ronniekapoor ,

Based on my test. We cannot achieve your goal currecntly and there is no work around for that. BTW, if we try to publish the pbit file to service, we need to save it to pbix before that.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Has the feature being release to convert PBIT to PBIX as of May 2020? If not , when can we expect it on the Power BI roadmap? Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there alink for this feature up for voting?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please vote on this issue/idea using the following link:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=e41d996b-1fc4-463a-b8ab-bdedb73728d3

If the link does not work just search for pbit to pbix command in ideas.powerbi.com.

Thank you all for participating on this topic. Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors