Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

markefrody
Post Patron
Post Patron

Convert Old Workspaces to New Workspaces

Hi,

I have some questions with regards to migration of old workspaces to the new workspaces:

1. When will the new workspaces be generally available? Where can I see the timeline for this?

2. Is the migration to new workspaces from old workspaces be automatic or do I manually reconstruct my dashboards?

3. Is it recommended to migrate to new workspaces now or should I wait for the new workspaces to be generally available?

Highly appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Best regards,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @markefrody 

1. Current new workspace is a preview feature, power bi-product team is developing it. and more function could be used. But we can't give you the exact time for it, and we believe that It will be finished soon.

2. During the preview period, you can't automatically convert your old app workspaces to new ones. You can however create a new app workspace and publish your content to the new location.

When the new workspaces are generally available (GA), you can opt in to migrate the old ones automatically. At some point after GA, you'll have to migrate them.

3. I recommend you migrate them after the new workspaces to be generally available. For now, it needs you manually reconstruct my dashboards and for it is a preview feature there are also some limitations in it.

But you could try it early.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
tomesmith
Frequent Visitor

The upgrade tool apears to be up and running, but is there a way to convert in bulk?

Hi

where do i find this migration tool?

is there any documentation available?

Thx

If you are an admin/owner in the O365 group, go to the ellipsis in the top right: Edit this workspace > Advanced > Upgrade Now

Thx

found it

keh3671
Regular Visitor

Is Microsoft saying that this functionality was in the Power BI Service September 2019 release? If so, I do not see this functionality available yet under the Power BI Service Admin Portal or under Edit Workspace. The link below is where Microsoft is showing this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/April19/business-intelligence/p...

In April 2019, we released the general availability of the new Power BI workspaces, which allowed you to:

• Manage access using security groups, distribution lists, and even multiple Office 365 Groups.

• Create a workspace in Power BI without creating an Office 365 group.

• Effectively manage workspaces with tools and APIs for Power BI admins.

Now, we are enabling upgrade of existing classic workspaces to become new workspaces. Workspace and Power BI Admins will be able to opt in to upgrade their workspaces on demand.

At a later time, Power BI will require the upgrade of classic workspaces to the new workspace experience. This will not start until after all classic workspaces can be upgraded through opt-in.

anthonyloh
Helper I
Helper I

Is there any update on this? Is there a way to convert an old workspace to a new one? 

tdickson
Frequent Visitor

Yes, please!  More information on the timeline for this would be really helpful.  I do not want to devote resources to converting all of our workspaces to the new ones only to have automatic migration become available a month later.  

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @markefrody 

1. Current new workspace is a preview feature, power bi-product team is developing it. and more function could be used. But we can't give you the exact time for it, and we believe that It will be finished soon.

2. During the preview period, you can't automatically convert your old app workspaces to new ones. You can however create a new app workspace and publish your content to the new location.

When the new workspaces are generally available (GA), you can opt in to migrate the old ones automatically. At some point after GA, you'll have to migrate them.

3. I recommend you migrate them after the new workspaces to be generally available. For now, it needs you manually reconstruct my dashboards and for it is a preview feature there are also some limitations in it.

But you could try it early.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hellio @v-lili6-msft, any update on the feature of workspace's migration ?

Hey,

Just wondering if there is any update on when we will be able to convert our old workspaces to the new ones?

Thanks,
Rose

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also like to know this. Really need it.

@v-lili6-msft 

Thanks for the explanation and recommendation Lin! 

What I do to migrate old to new. Make two copies of the workspace icon with text added Old and New.
publish a new app workspace with new icon

change icon for old workspace to Old.

Republish apps in the new workspace.

migrate users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

But surely if we create a new workspace and migrate the old workspace content across to it, the final URLs for the App and its reports will be completely different from the existing ones - meaning that the end users will need to replace all their bookmarked links.

I'm hoping that the 'official workspace upgrade tool' (when it is released) will do an inplace upgrade which won't change any of the GUIDs in the URL. Is that reasonable?

Yes, it’s reasonable. In my case, I have a dataset that I can’t duplicate and I need it in two workspaces now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors