Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mjohannesson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Conversion from number to string failed due to undersized character buffer

Starting yesterday afternoon, several of our datasets have failed to refresh with the below error. What is the reason for this error? Our datasets imports data from Databricks Spark Delta tables using the Spark connector into our Premium P1 capacity. I have restarted the Databricks cluster once after this error started occurring, but it did not help.

There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Data source error: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][Support] (50130) Conversion from number to string failed due to undersized character buffer.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: MyTable.
Cluster URI: WABI-WEST-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @saambave! Now, it's working. Microsoft has now posted an awareness message to their support page about this:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
gah113
Advocate I
Advocate I

We see the same issue with the same set-up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just put in a ticket as well.  This started occuring first early on 6/17.  Don't see any changes in source data or the Power Query settings.  But, it only seems to be impacting one load from Databricks Recast all fields in source query to no more than 2 decimal places... Stumped.

ChayDommeti
Frequent Visitor

I too am having the same issue , my reports are not refreshing from june 12th. Did anyone find solution?

jcwagnon

Same issue here with Databricks, Delta Tables, and Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We fasce the same issue with Databricks Spark connector and Power BI. We have opend a ticket but no answer yet ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exact same problem here, super frustrating.  Sounds like same timing and same setup.

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mjohannesson 

If you haven't fixed the issue yet, you can always check if the issue was reported by others here:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

or if this did not give you the answer you looking for, you can create a support ticket here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors