Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TheTechWizard
Frequent Visitor

Controlling access to workspaces and dashboards with security groups

We have a workspace that has a security group assigned to it, to control who can see the workspace.

We would also like to create and assign security groups to the dashboards and/or reports to control who can see them.

If your're in the group that can see the workspace and your're in the group that can see xyz dashboard then you can see that dashboard, but you wont be able to see the abc dashboard because your not in the abc security group.

Hopefully there is a way to do this...

thanks

v

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheTechWizard ,

Currently in power bi service, anyone who has access to the workspace means he can see all contents in it.

However, you can publish this workspace as an app and share it with others, in the app you can define the dashboards, reports...where you want to show it to others you want to access it. In the permission page, you can define the aceess.

app.png

You should note that: If you choose not to include a report that has a related dashboard, you see a warning next to the report. You can still publish the app, but the related dashboard won't have the tiles from that report.

More details about apps, you can refer this document that could help you: Publish an app in Power BI 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheTechWizard ,

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheTechWizard ,

Currently in power bi service, anyone who has access to the workspace means he can see all contents in it.

However, you can publish this workspace as an app and share it with others, in the app you can define the dashboards, reports...where you want to show it to others you want to access it. In the permission page, you can define the aceess.

app.png

You should note that: If you choose not to include a report that has a related dashboard, you see a warning next to the report. You can still publish the app, but the related dashboard won't have the tiles from that report.

More details about apps, you can refer this document that could help you: Publish an app in Power BI 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

All users that are part of the App Workspace Security Group will be able to see everything in the App Workspace.

For specific Groups, you would have to share the Dashboards and the reports with the specific groups.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

When i go into a dashboard and click to Share it, the next screen has two tabs, one that says share, and another that says access.

On the access tab it has two entries, one for the security group i defined for the workspace and one for the owner.

It seems the security group I defined for the workspace is assigned automatically to every dashboard and report i create in that workspace. My intention was to give access to the workspace with that security group not to give access to every dashboard and report that is contained in the workspace. Creating more security groups seems pointless as anyone in the workspace group is already assigned to all the dashboards and reports.

Hi there

yes that is correct. If someone has got access to the App Workspace, they get access to all the Dashboards and reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors