Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MbProg
Helper II
Helper II

Control the quantity of users using the service

I have the following problem:

In Power BI it is possible to create a 365 office user with Power BI Pro and then let different users from different computers and mobile devices use this user to use Power BI Service. So you cannot control how many user actually are using your reports...

So a customer is able to buy a Power BI Pro account for example CRM_Account@domain.com and then tell all its marketing employers to use this CRM_Account@domain.com on all their devices (web and mobile) and it works.

Is there a way to restrict that or control how many devices or real users are using Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MbProg,

Based on my understanding, you purchased a Power BI pro account, and shared this account with many person. Then you wanted to limit this account can be used in specific computer or mobile, right?

In terms of Power BI service, the user can access Power BI Service or not is decided by whether he/she has a Power BI Service free or pro account. If there is a account can access the Power BI Service, everyone knows this account and password can sign in and manage this account's Power BI Service content. Power BI will not check which computer or mobile is the account logged on.

In your scenario, if you worry about someone use this account to modify your reports or dashboards, please change the password of this account to stop other people accessing Power BI Service. In my opinion, one person has his/her own account is good for management. You can ask employers to sign up free accounts or purchase pro accounts. Then IT admins can trace usage of reports and so on: Power BI usage statistics.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MbProg,

Based on my understanding, you purchased a Power BI pro account, and shared this account with many person. Then you wanted to limit this account can be used in specific computer or mobile, right?

In terms of Power BI service, the user can access Power BI Service or not is decided by whether he/she has a Power BI Service free or pro account. If there is a account can access the Power BI Service, everyone knows this account and password can sign in and manage this account's Power BI Service content. Power BI will not check which computer or mobile is the account logged on.

In your scenario, if you worry about someone use this account to modify your reports or dashboards, please change the password of this account to stop other people accessing Power BI Service. In my opinion, one person has his/her own account is good for management. You can ask employers to sign up free accounts or purchase pro accounts. Then IT admins can trace usage of reports and so on: Power BI usage statistics.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No our intension is to control the amount of users using our Power BI Service. For example:

I create some Power BI Reports and permit another company to use my reports. But just three employees of them. But the company can create a global account and let 20 people use this account to use my reports. I want to prevent them doing this.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MbProg If I understood you correctly you want to limit the number of devices that power bi can be accessed from for a specific account called CRM_account that multiple users will have that username and password. If yes then I don't think that is possible currently as I wasn't able to find out anything in the power bi admin portal section here but you can give it a try and see if you find anything useful. You may also want to submit it as an idea to limit number of devices for a specific account.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors