Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CB2704
Advocate I
Advocate I

Continuous axis publishing as categorical

I refresh a report weekly and have been doing this for 10 months.  I have a graph using the continuous x-axis type and never had a problem.  Suddenly today, when I published, the published version doesn't look at all like my desktop version.  The published version looks like the x-axis has been changed to categorical.  Is this a bug?  Is anyone else experiencing this?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CB2704
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks to all for the responses.  I am using the Aug. 2022 version of PowerBI.  I also tried taking the legend off.  Nothing seemed to fix it.  I spent hours trying different things.  What finally fixed it for me was changing the date on the x-axis from "date hierarchy" to "date".  It has been on hierarchy for 10 months, so not sure why this doesn't work anymore.  Anyway, this workaround fixed my issue.  Hope it helps others.

CB2704_0-1663074497451.png

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Bumping to keep this topic at the top.

Please can we have an update on this please? Microsoft can't push Power BI to be a business critical tool and then have no support available for anyone who raises the issue

Our consultancy works with and promotes Power BI to our clients but at our upcoming managment meeting I will be discussing the market alternatives that have better first line support

Hello, this issue has been fixed last week

rodb1979
Regular Visitor

@v-cgao-msft Why are you ignoring this problem? There are several open complaints about the same bug, with the most varied explanations.

J_M

I checked the first minutes from the September Release video to understand why the behaviour has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIrlkeORor0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still broken over here too. This is definitely a bug microsoft have introduced and they need to look to resolve it quickly!

beauxis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hope that the team is aware of this problem. Still broken this morning..

jbredemeyer
Regular Visitor

I just discovered the same issue, Line Chart with a legend that changes axis type upon publication. I'll try removing date heirarchy for now but raising the issue for visibility. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, this is still an issue. My chart does not work properly without a date hierarchy and is a bug which is seeming to affect many reports!

CB2704
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks to all for the responses.  I am using the Aug. 2022 version of PowerBI.  I also tried taking the legend off.  Nothing seemed to fix it.  I spent hours trying different things.  What finally fixed it for me was changing the date on the x-axis from "date hierarchy" to "date".  It has been on hierarchy for 10 months, so not sure why this doesn't work anymore.  Anyway, this workaround fixed my issue.  Hope it helps others.

CB2704_0-1663074497451.png

That isn't a full solution because by changing from date hierarchy to just date you lose the ability to go to lower hierarchy levels or expand down a level

Please can this be looked into further I'm also seeing the issue. August 2022 installed, never happened before this.

As mentioned by another user this can happen in desktop too if you change to categorical you can't change back.

beauxis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same issue on my side, here is my post about it : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Hierarchy-in-Power-BI-Service-is-broken/m-p/2763657

For the support team, the issue is only visible on the Power BI Service. Any solution expected ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. After some testing it only happens when there is a legend on the visual. Has there been a recent change to the service that could have casued this?

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

After testing, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. The type of the axis does not change after publishing to service, and the type of the axis can be switched directly in both Service and Desktop.

Desktop:

vcgaomsft_0-1663050515245.png

Service:

vcgaomsft_1-1663050560973.png

Which version of the desktop do you use?

The version I used for testing was: Version: 2.108.997.0 64-bit (August 2022)

If it is not this version, you can use the link below to download the latest version of the desktop.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Did you use a legend, or just put two different measures into the y-axis? The problem appears for me, and is mentioned as occuring for others, when using a legend.

Hi! Have you already reproduced the problem as guided above? For me, in Power BI Service the axis continuous displays the legends as categorical, despite my report being configured as continuous for this x axis. And there is no option to change it to continuous. And in the same way as previously reported, on Desktop everything works correctly! It was definitely a bug introduced by Microsoft in the Power BI Service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try adding a legend to the visual rather than two axes and see what happens, this is what broke it in my case.

bfb99

I am having the exact same issue. First noticed this yesterday when I published my daily report.

I have notice that in the desktop version, when toggling the x axis to categorical from continuous, there is no option to toggle back to continuous other than clicking reset to default. Not sure if this is new or not, but it could be related. 

CB2704
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is what it looks like in my desktop version before I publish.

CB2704_0-1662998623041.png

Once I publish, it looks like this:

CB2704_1-1662998693731.png

It doesn't make any sense.  I have been publishing this report for month and not changed any settings.  Why isn't it working?  

I'm also having the very same issue! I recently experienced the issue after updating my desktop software to the june release. I hope it's fixed in the september release as my org is planning an update soon. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors