Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Davurse
Helper I
Helper I

Content Pack Share/Copy/Manage Scenarios

Hi All,

I have some scenario questions in which I need some help with for ‘best practices’ when sharing, copying, and managing content packs.

If I create and distribute my content pack which includes one dataset and one report, how do the following scenarios play out?

User 1 creates 4 copies of the report and edits them to their liking. These edits include deleting pages, visuals, and adding new visuals, pages and different data from the dataset.

Scenario A:  I now add a new data source (excel file, etc.) to the report and consequently to the whole content pack. Note, I have not made any visual changes to the report itself, but just added another data source to pull from. I then republish the report.

Question: Will User 1 see the new data source in their reports, or will they have to ‘Get’ the content pack again.

If they ‘Get’ the content pack again, what will this do to their copied/edited reports? Will they stay the same, be deleted, overwrote?

Scenario B:  I now add a new data source (excel file, etc.) to the report and consequently to the whole content pack. I now also make visual changes, as well to the report by adding new measures and pages to that report. I then republish the report.

Question: Will User 1 see the new data source in their reports and visual changes, or will they have to ‘Get’ the content pack again? Once they ‘Get’ the content pack, how will this affect their copied and edited reports? Will these copied reports stay as is, with now change, and maintain connection to the Content Pack Data Set, or will they now be static and not receive updates?

If they get the content pack again, what will this do to their copied/edited reports? Will they stay the same, be deleted, overwrote?

I need to develop some best practices for these scenarios as these situations occur quite often. 

All thoughts/comments/best practices are appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I’m not being clear enough.

Thanks,

Greg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Greg_Davurse

From my understanding for both Scenario's the user will have to get the data again. As I know that if a user copies a content pack they will get what it is at that point, but after that they will get notified that there are changes. But will not be reflected in terms of the visuals.

Another possible option is for you to create the Dataset and upload it into an App Workspace. Then the user can connect from Power BI Desktop to this Dataset in the Power BI Service.

In doing it in this way when you update the Dataset or new sources the user can simply refresh and they will get the updated data or sources. Which they can then leverage.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Greg_Davurse,

In scenarioA I now add a new data source in Power BI service or Power BI desktop? I create get data and create a report using Power BI desktop, publish it to service, create a content pack including the report and dataset, publish the content pack to my colleague. Then I add a data source in Power BI desktop, publish it to service to replace the original one. I click Edit->Update my content pack. My colleague can see the new dataset, create a new conent pack copy. And the report stays there.

In scenarioB, as in scenarioA, I create a measure and a new report using the new dataset. I update the changes, my colleague can see the new dataset and new report without "get" again. 

So for your scenarioA and scenarioB, you update your changes, the user1 can see the new dataset and report without "Get" again. Their  original content copy can still stay and don't change, until you create a new copy, you will see the changes. 

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Greg_Davurse,

In scenarioA I now add a new data source in Power BI service or Power BI desktop? I create get data and create a report using Power BI desktop, publish it to service, create a content pack including the report and dataset, publish the content pack to my colleague. Then I add a data source in Power BI desktop, publish it to service to replace the original one. I click Edit->Update my content pack. My colleague can see the new dataset, create a new conent pack copy. And the report stays there.

In scenarioB, as in scenarioA, I create a measure and a new report using the new dataset. I update the changes, my colleague can see the new dataset and new report without "get" again. 

So for your scenarioA and scenarioB, you update your changes, the user1 can see the new dataset and report without "Get" again. Their  original content copy can still stay and don't change, until you create a new copy, you will see the changes. 

Best Regards,
Angelia

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Greg_Davurse

From my understanding for both Scenario's the user will have to get the data again. As I know that if a user copies a content pack they will get what it is at that point, but after that they will get notified that there are changes. But will not be reflected in terms of the visuals.

Another possible option is for you to create the Dataset and upload it into an App Workspace. Then the user can connect from Power BI Desktop to this Dataset in the Power BI Service.

In doing it in this way when you update the Dataset or new sources the user can simply refresh and they will get the updated data or sources. Which they can then leverage.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply @GilbertQ

So is it correct in saying, the visuals they have created on their 'Copied' Reports should not change once they get the new content pack?

Thanks

Hi @Greg_Davurse,

Yes, it is. When you create a copy, which just like you have a similar report. When you get a new context pack, 'Copied' reports wouldn't change. Until you create a new copy from the new context pack, you can see and edit the updated report.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft @Greg_Davurse @GilbertQ
How is it gonna handle now since Content Packs are no more?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors