Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hasenclever
Helper II
Helper II

Consumers cannot access premium workspace

Dear all,

I have a simple problem that seems like a bug. We hired the premium licence to enable everyone on the company to view our reports. That works if we publish the reports on apps and it is easy for the consumers (Power BI Free Licencesed) to enter into Power BI Service (app.powerbi.com) and find the apps.

Nevertheless, the Power BI Consumers that are added as Premium Workspaces users (no matter in what role) get a funny behavior. They cannot access the Premium workspace through navigating to it. The behavior presents itself like this:

1. After assigning the Power BI Consumer as a member or viewer of the Premium Workspace, the user can see the Workspace when accessing the Workspace icon on the Power BI Service
  2. But when he clicks to enter the workspace, the Power BI Service tells the user that to access the workspace, the user must have a PRO licence.
  3. Nevertheless, if I send the user the workspace link and the user paste it on the browser, the user gets the same UPGRADE message, but when he does click CANCEL, he is into the workspace and his privilege works.

In my opinion, there is a bug that I am not sure it is related with users that tried the PRO Licence trial or not. But, it is a bug, because Power BI's documentation tells us that the Consumers should be able to access Premium Workspaces.

Can you help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hasenclever 
It is because premium workspace only allows free users to access the content in the workspace rather then access the entire features of that workspace. Hope that is clear for you.

I wouldn't say it is a bug, but definitely something confuses uers. I will discuss with my colleagues and report this issue.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hasenclever 
It is because premium workspace only allows free users to access the content in the workspace rather then access the entire features of that workspace. Hope that is clear for you.

I wouldn't say it is a bug, but definitely something confuses uers. I will discuss with my colleagues and report this issue.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-pazhen-msft try something out, if you assign a free-user to the workspace as a member and share the url of the workspace with the user, the user can access the workspace. It will receive a pop up question asking if he wants to upgrade, but when the cancel is hit, the user is on the workspace and only then he can access and do what your documentation claims he can do.

He can see all reports and dashboards, he can analyse in excel, he can create a new report based on any existing workspace dataset, etc.

That is what we were told and what we want.

Don't mind that free users are poped up asking if they want to upgrade, but when they navigate on the workspaces icon and see one workspace that they have been assigned to, as the workspace is a premium one, they should be allowed to enter.

So I understand that this is a bug. Do you want me to report it by support?

@hasenclever 

Sure, I guess you can create a support ticket for a quick response from Power bi team. 

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @hasenclever ,

Has the user been assigned the license in the Premium licensing?  I have seen this where the Premium has to be "assigned" to the user.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

@collinq the premium license is not assigned to users. It is assigned to a tenant. And them the workspaces are "promoted" as premium workspaces. So as I assigned a role to a free user to my premium workspace, this user should be allowed to navigate to it over the workspaces icon and then enter the workspace to view reports and dashboards and also to be able to colaborate with them, analysing in excel and creating new reports from the workspaces datasets.

This is posible if you assign a free user to the premium workspace and give this user the url from the workspace.

My regards,

Michel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors