Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Constant refresh issues

For the past week or so I've been getting this generic error when refreshing a dataset:

The last refresh attempt failed because of an internal service error. This is usually a transient issue. If you try again later and still see this message, contact support.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

I've tried double checking my internet, database connections, etc. to see if it's an error on my side.  I haven't run in to a lot of errors so I'm not quite sure where to start.  Does this message mean that it's a Microsoft issue? 

10 REPLIES 10
Tman915
Frequent Visitor

I'm seeing this as well. I have multiple refreshes a day but I am only seeing this error every few days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a screenshot of the error I got this afternoon while trying to refresh.

2020-05-06_11-28-14.jpg

HI @Anonymous,

According to the error message, it seems like an internal service issue.
I'd like to suggest you double check the network status, policy, and firewall settings of your device that install the gateway to confirm if they block power bi requests.

Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges 

Connecting to on-premises data sources with On-premises data gateway#ports-and-communication-settings 

BTW, What version and type gateway client are you test? If you do not work with the last version, I'd like to suggest update your gateway client first.

You can also refer to the below document to share more detailed information about your scenario.

Troubleshoot gateways - Power BI#refresh-history 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new to Power BI so excuse the ignorance.

I've never downloaded and installed a gateway client.  I'm shows that I'm using a personal gateway on my personal computer.

2020-05-07_9-19-32.jpg

Hi @Anonymous,

After I trace the request-id and error messages, it seems like an issue when you do some modification on your data source structure:

This error often happens after the Property or Entity was renamed or deleted. Please update the query/visual to use the new name or undo the name change. - Source: 'User'

Query Execution failed for model'162953' because there is a DSR error: transientError='False', DSRErrorCode='CouldNotResolveSemanticQueryDefinition'

Anything changes you apply on your data source after you publish this report to power bi service?  If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you refresh on power bi desktop side to confirm if these refresh operations failed.
Power bi refresh required data source same as published datasets structures. If they not matched, you need to fix these changes on the query table side and publish to power bi service to use the new version to replace the old version.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had an issue refreshing on power bi desktop.  The only time I would have a problem was when I tried to publish my report.

I don't know if it was just timing or if it actually solved an issue.  I split my reporting into two separate reports and published them and theyre both working.

@Anonymous 

Can you please share few details.

1. Data Source - 

2. Data Source Mode (On-Premises/Cloud) - 

3. Connectivity Mode (Import/Direct Query) - 

4. Any Append/Merge - 

5. Please share the complete error message - 

Note:- If the Gateway is older version, Please try to upgrade to the newer version and try to re-pro the issue.

If you have any concerns, Please let us know.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

BR

venal.

HI @Anonymous,

Maybe you can try to open a support ticket with your pbix file to get further support from power bi team. It is free for Pro and above license.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Possibly. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I said I haven't had to do any troubleshooting before so I don't know where to start.  Are you able to elaborate on what I need add to my post?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors