Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JHob
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connection to a dataset

Is connection to a dataset the same as a live connection to a datasource.  Could there be a performance issue connecting to a dataset rather than using import mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @JHob ,

No, they are not the same thing.  A dataSOURCE is the place where you are getting the data from (like Excel, SQL, github, website,etc).  A dataSET is the data that you have modified/combined/put together in query editor or modified with DAX.  

Therefore, these are not the same thing and connecting to them is not treated the same way.  You can (and it is sometimes recommended) that you use a PBI dataset to create other reports.  It is a good thing to create PBI datasets that are shared and consumed by other developers.  You can also have multiple reports in multiple different datasets using the same datasource.

As for an issue between connecting to a dataset vs a datasource my initial response is there should not be any significant difference.  That said, there are many ways that it could cause performance issues if the original developer has a horriblly constructed dataset and that could make it slow.  But, from a general statement of "which is better" for performance it should not really matter.  Again, though, you are importing ONE dataSOURCE and when you connect to a dataSET you are linking to all the included datasources.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @JHob ,

No, they are not the same thing.  A dataSOURCE is the place where you are getting the data from (like Excel, SQL, github, website,etc).  A dataSET is the data that you have modified/combined/put together in query editor or modified with DAX.  

Therefore, these are not the same thing and connecting to them is not treated the same way.  You can (and it is sometimes recommended) that you use a PBI dataset to create other reports.  It is a good thing to create PBI datasets that are shared and consumed by other developers.  You can also have multiple reports in multiple different datasets using the same datasource.

As for an issue between connecting to a dataset vs a datasource my initial response is there should not be any significant difference.  That said, there are many ways that it could cause performance issues if the original developer has a horriblly constructed dataset and that could make it slow.  But, from a general statement of "which is better" for performance it should not really matter.  Again, though, you are importing ONE dataSOURCE and when you connect to a dataSET you are linking to all the included datasources.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors