Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connection to SSAS through Gateway using local user account. Is it possible?

I need a sandbox environment for testing some features of Power BI using an SSAS database, and connecting to it from PBI Service through On Premises Gateway.

I have the SSAS database on my notebook, and I connect using a LOCAL USER account. I don't have the possibility of connecting with a domain user.

I can configure the Gateway and the data source on the service, and I can also refresh the datasource, but when I try to refresh from the report, I get an error.

Is it possible to do this using a local user account, or the only way is with a domain user??

If I need the domain user, I would need to configure an Active Directory server and domain just for solving this problem?

Thanks!

DataSource OK.jpgReport Error.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

What I think you possibly need to do, is to map your Power BI Login name to the Local name on your SSAS Instance.

In the Power BI Service, click on Manage Gateways

Then click on the Data Source.

Then click on Users

Then click on Map Users

Then map your Power BI login bob@domain.com --> MyComputerName\Localuser

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @GilbertQ for your answer, but I already tried that and I have the same problem.

I also read a lot of posts about this, but all the answers refer to a DOMAIN user, so I start to think that the only way of solving this is using a domain user, but I want to confirm that, becouse it would be really inconvenient for me to do that.

Hi there, have you changed it from Effective User Names to Custom Data?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried both options, same result... Smiley Frustrated

I think if you could add in the RLS the Power BI address to get it working

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ, I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.

By RLS you mean row level security, right?

Since I'm using SSAS, I understand that RLS can be managed by roles in the SSAS database, and not in Power BI. But in SSAS role membership configuration I can't use Power BI addresses. Just local or domain users.

Again, I'm not sure if I got what you mean, sorry if I got it wrong and thanks for your help!!

What I meant was is that you can pass the Power BI email address through to your SSAS cube

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ, I think that if I don't configure user mapping, I'm actually passing the Power BI email address to my SSAS cube, but the problem is that there is no way I can enable that address to have access to the cube as a regular user. SSAS role membership configuration won't accept that.

I have just seen a video from "Guy in a cube" on youtube that says that you need a domain... so, sadly, I think that the answer to my question is "it is impossible to do this", which is a real inconvenience for me...

The video is this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ownIGbcRAAU

He says that at 4:20 approx...

Thanks

Ok that makes sense.

If you can upgrade to SSAS 2017 there is an option to add an external user

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors