Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Marcin
Helper V
Helper V

Connection to Azure Analysis Services Issue

Hi,

we had this problem in our organization. that we can't view any report connected to tabular model on Azure Analysis Services with live connection mode, we get an error : ( only on Web portal ) 

Capture.PNG

We are able to connect to model from PowerBI desktop app without any problem, also other report connected to other data sources works fine , only this one has this problem. 

I tried to re-deploy model from Visual Studio, pause and start Azure Analysis Services but it didn't solve the issue. 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marcin  did you get a resolution to this issue?  I've just run up against this problem myself.  The reports work for me, but others get that error message in your post.  My gut feeling is that it is a permissions issue.  I've tried adding 'read-only' permissions at the AAS level as well, but it hasn't worked so far.  I'm holding out hope that it takes time to propagate.

I have some deadlines and wasn't expecting this to be an issue, so i'm hoping to come across a solution.  My expectation is that it will be something straight forward, but its all about discovering what this small item is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I know the problem and how to solve it.  When you create the model you also need to add a Read-Only role into the data model for the users to access. I had difficulty doing this with Visual Studio, as it wouldn't accept my email address and security groups.  I made use of SQL Server Management Tools and created roles and access through there.  This resolved the problem.  Details can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-database-users

Hi @Anonymous !

I can't find a solution to make my PBI works on-line.

Tryed lots of alternatives.

Marcin
Helper V
Helper V

Additional error info:

Capture2.PNG

@Marcin Hi, If it is working fine with desktop and the issue is only with Service, the issue will be with Gateway. Please check the logs on Gateway server and check the permissions on the related data source. 

Hi @deepu299,

what Gateway exactly do you mean ? 

I am not using any Gateway because I am connected to Azure Analysis Services not on - premise SSAS.

@Marcin You are correct, My bad. I use On-Prem SSAS and this error is mostly observed due to gateway issues. Some times due to unavailability, some times due to permissions that the user who runs is not able to access the model. Do you need to grant any such permissions to connect ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are using on prem SSAS,  make sure that the user assigned to the report is granted access to the SSAS instance also 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors