Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sarazin73
Frequent Visitor

Connection string to snowflake database in Power BI Service

Hello,

i need to add a new datasourse to my existing gateway and the provider is Snowflake database. What is the correct connection string format to put in the textbox zone in the Power Service page, please ? Have you sample to give it to me ? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sarazin73 ,

You can refer to this document:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-snowflake 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks V-lianl-msft for your reply, but the problem is not on the desktop side. When i published my dashboard on power bi service and i want to refresh datas from there, i must configure new connection string on the gateway too. I don't know what is the format/structure of this string for Snowflake provider (or ODBC for Snowflake if it works ?)

Hi @Sarazin73 ,

Try the following to see if it works

Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=USER_NAME;Extended Properties="DSN=DSN_NAME;DATABASE=DATABASE_NAME;Description=Snowflake DSII;ROLE=ROLE_NAME;SCHEMA=PUBLIC;SERVER=instancename.snowflakecomputing.com;TRACING=4;UID{USER_NAME};WAREHOUSE=WAREHOUSE_NAME;";Initial Catalog=DATABASE_NAME;Pwd=PASSWORD

If the problem persists,i would suggest you to create a support ticket to solve your problem. Support_Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I replaced the properties of the ODBC connection string with our values. Leaving the "User ID" and "Pwd" properties inside, I get the following error message: "ODBC: The connection string is not valid. The connection property 'user id' (or Pwd) can only be specified using credentials. ". By removing "User ID" or "Pwd" from the connection chain, the error message is different: "Unable to connect to the undefined data source." with error code -2147467259 and the message: "ODBC: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft] [ODBC driver manager] Data source not found and driver name not specified" Note that on the server hosting the gateway, it is up to date and that after installing the Snowflake ODBC driver, the Azure VM has been restarted. Is there no way today (March 2020) to connect directly to a Snowflake database by choosing the type of data source: "Snowflake" as the gateway source in the Power BI service? this would have the advantage of being simpler to configure and more efficient to query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors