Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soldous
Advocate II
Advocate II

Connection information in downloaded pbix

Hello everyone,

when I create a connection to a data source in Power BI Desktop the connection is saved in the data source settings right? And what if I published the report with that data source into Power BI Service and another user will download the pbix? The connection is still saved? 

So theoretically the other user can then access into the data source under the identity I created? This could be a serious security issue in some cases if I understand it right.

Thanks for the explanation.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Depending on the data source that you are connecting to will mean how the user gets authenticated.

For example if you have a SQL Server data source, which YOU have permissions to.

Another user downloads the PBIX which will have the connection details to the SQL Server, but if the connection properties are set to use "Current User Name and Password" it will then require the other users details to authenticate against the SQL Server. If this user does not have the access they will not be able to access the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Thank you for your answer.

You are right when we're talking about Windows kind of login but what about a database user name and password? When I use database user name and password and it represents my identity in the data source system will the other user use that my identity after he downloaded the pbix from PBI Service?

I think it should prompt for the details

I would suggest completing a small test, download the file and see if you get prompted?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors