Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ParkwayInc

Connecting to the same content pack multiple times

Hello,

Admittedly new to the Power BI realm, I have been struggling with the same challenge for a couple months trying to find the best workaround.  Our company Parkway Business Solutions provides accounting services for small to medium size businesses with most of our clients using QuickBooks Online.  Awhile back I started playing with Power BI dashboards as a form of reporting and was able to successfully create a dashboard the way we wanted.  My difficulty starts when I try to connect another company file thus having two unique dashboards, the next refresh will overwrite the data on both datasets with the last company connection created.

Since we utilize the accountants version of QuickBooks Online, we have a single username and password to access all of our individual company files.  After using the same login information, to get into the program, you then choose a company and its unique company id number.  Our goal is to establish and create a Power Bi dashboard for each one of our clients accounts but be able to update them and manage their content packs from a single place.

My question: How can I connect to multiple copies of the same data service but still receive separate content by company? 

Do I need to create a different workspace for each client so that they will all refresh separately?

Things I am already playing with:

I have played around with creating unique username and passwords that we would control through a Office 365 group, but that means we would have to update each accounts dashboard separately when providing non content packet drive tiles (such as twitter feeds, custom videos etc)

Hoping to avoid paying for a POWER BI Pro account for each client,I recently installed Power BI desktop with the end goal creating Embedded Power BI with a client portal, but have been having difficulty setting up Embedded Power BI and believe the initial challenge must be resolved first.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Matthew Fulton

https://parkway.business

4 REPLIES 4
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ParkwayInc On top of what @Greg_Deckler said you should consider RLS (row level security) with username() function in power bi which you can use without power bi pro and allow you to have one dashboard for different clients. Below are the articles to help you get started. Obviously it will require some configuration at data source leve so that you can identify and correctly assign logged in user in power bi with their company but it is not that difficult to create and maintain. Let us know if you decide to explore that area and have further questions.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-username-in-dax-with-row-level-security/

I will check out your links and let you know if I have any difficulty.  Also I wanted to clarify that I already have a Pro Subscriptions with my E5 license, however, I am trying to avoid having to purchases additional licenses for each of the companies we provide service for.  I have what I think will be a pretty cool plan to use Sharepoint subsites and Office 365 Groups as client portals.  My goal is to embedded PowerBi into each clients Sharepoint site.

Thanks again for the assistace!!

Matthew Fulton

https://parkway.business

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Have you tried it in two different workgroups? Just curious if that would resolve it but I think that means that you would need Pro at that point.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your suggestion, I setup a different Workgroup and created the connection, so I should know after the next auto sync if it works or not.  I appreciate your input!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors