Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting to OneDrive Excel Online

I have a report connected to an Excel Sheet in OneDrive.

The data has been updated but the updates are not flowing into the dashboard. I've tried manual refreshes over a 48 hour period.

I decided to delete the dataset and rebuild the report from scratch,

However when I connect to my OneDrive file it still imports the old Table1 name with old data headings and values.

Why? And how do I resolve it to connect to the latest data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I think I have solved it! My excel file has a power pivot which wasn't refreshed. So my live data was in an Excel table called 'Tracker' whereas the Power Pivot was calling on data from an old table called 'Table1'. Power BI was uploading Table1. I deleted Table1 from the Data Model and that fixed it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and another question to ask.  When you are selecting the refresh, have you checked whether the refresh actually completes successfully or does the refresh history show that it produced an error?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refreshes are successful. Can't see the Edit Query screen. I am in the cloud app. Does it behave the same way?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No it doesnt.  Did you create the project using Power BI Desktop, or Power BI Online?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI Online. and now in the 60 day trial period of Pro.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pro shouldn't affect the features in what you develop.  If you've made the report using the Online app only, there is a lot less that can go wrong.

Try creating a new app again and see if the old or new data comes through.  I'm still concerned you might be accessing a cloned file not realising you have 2 different one drive accounts.

When you made changes to the file on One Drive, did you do this on your own machine.  Has there been any syncing problems between your computer and your one drive account?  I.e if you visit One drive through your Office 365 Portal, do you see the old or new data?

I know on my computer I have a one-drive folder.  Changes I made there need to sync to the cloud version of One Drive.  I'm wondering if that sync hasn't occured?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I renamed my OneDrive file to be certain I was finding it in PBI. Found it and connected OK but the filename brought into the dataset was the original name and then it crashed.

So I tried again. This time it brought in the correct filename but the data is still the old data.

I don't have OneDrive on my PC so everything is in the cloud.

Could it just be lag?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It gets worse. I normally connect to the OneDrive file but to test the lag theory I loaded the workbook into PBI.

The workbook view of the data in PBI is correct. But when I build a dashboard the old data is back. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have 2 different one drive accounts by any chance do you?  For example there can be a 'One Drive for Business' and a separate One Drive account with a different name?  Is it possible you are access different versions of One Drive?

The easiest test would be to create a simple brand new Text/Excel file.  Upload it once to the folder you are expecting to use and see whether it appears in both places you have been testing (Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online).

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I think I have solved it! My excel file has a power pivot which wasn't refreshed. So my live data was in an Excel table called 'Tracker' whereas the Power Pivot was calling on data from an old table called 'Table1'. Power BI was uploading Table1. I deleted Table1 from the Data Model and that fixed it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check the 'Data Source settings' for your project (Under the 'Edit Queries' button).  Does your source path math the One Drive you are expecting?  Would it be possible that you have linked to a different one drive location that happens to also contain the same file?  I'm wondering if you are making changes in the wrong place and thus you are still seeing the older information.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors