Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JHob
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connecting to MySql database - Do I need a gateway?

Hi

I am connecting to a MySQL database from Power BI

It appears that I need a gateway to enable automatic refresh?

If so, do I need a dedicated PC to run this gateway? Is there no other way of automating the refresh process ?

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JHob 

If you are connecting to a SQL Server that hosted in Azure VM but not Azure SQL database. For the former, gateway is required, you should install gateway on the same machine, then add SQL Server data source within the gateway. 

For Azure SQL database, gateway is not required.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JHob 

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. if the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly.thanks!

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JHob 

Gateway is needed when your data source is on-premises, please refer to the detailed documents for refreshing data from SQL server:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-sql-tutorial 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql 

quickly.

Many thanks for your tutorial

Apologies, I am still trying to get my mind around gateways so my questions may seem a little obvious.

The MySQL database is not on our premises. A connection to it has been made available to us by a supplier and we have been give the IP address, database name and login.  Is this then still classified as an on premises database ?  Is this effectively then not in the cloud?  Do we still need the gateway?

Kind regards

Hi @JHob 

If you are connecting to a SQL Server that hosted in Azure VM but not Azure SQL database. For the former, gateway is required, you should install gateway on the same machine, then add SQL Server data source within the gateway. 

For Azure SQL database, gateway is not required.

quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft ,

@JHob asked for a MySQL instance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors