Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

willayd
Advocate I
Advocate I

Connecting to Google Analytics from Power BI Service via Service Account

Is there a best practice for connecting to Google Analytics via the Power BI Service on an automated schedule? My use case is to refresh GA data once per day, but ideally without having to code any personal credentials into the connection on the service. 

I believe from the GA side I could establish a service account for this purpose, but I don't see any way to use that service account from the Power BI Service as it always requires a user name / password rather than using key authentication.

3 REPLIES 3
adelheni
Helper III
Helper III

Well I think you might be looking for a third-party connector, you would just have to connect your Google Analytics account to the platform and they get your data into power bi and it will be refreshed automatically without asking for a user id nor password.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3WA6-jk5EM&ab_channel=Windsor.aiPerformanceMarketing

this video has a guide on how to do it.
We have been using them to connect Google Analytics, Google search console to power bi.

https://windsor.ai/connect-google-analytics-to-power-bi-guide/

Hope this helps!!

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @willayd 

would you like to connect the Google Analytics from power bi desktop and then publish to the service?

You can connect to Google Analytics data using the Google Analytics connector. To connect, follow these steps:

1. In Power BI Desktop, select Get Data from the Home ribbon tab.
  2. In the Get Data window, select Online Services from the categories in the left pane.
  3. Select Google Analytics from the selections in the right pane.
  4. At the bottom of the window, select Connect.

You're prompted with a dialog that explains that the connector is a Third-Party Service, and warns about how features and availability may change over time, and other clarifications.

When you select Continue, you're prompted to sign in to Google Analytics.

When you enter your credentials, you're prompted that Power BI would like to have offline access. This is how you use Power BI Desktop to access your Google Analytics data.

Once you accept, Power BI Desktop shows that you're currently signed in.

Please note that after publish it to the service and schedule refresh, it doesn't require any gateway.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Thanks for the reply, but no that's not what I am looking for. I am wondering if there is a way to user a Google Analytics Service Account rather than having to use the credentials of the report author for data refresh:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors