Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Connecting to Azure SQL Database via Dataflows - authentication not working.

We have an Azure SQL Database to connect to. 

• I can connect via SQL Server Management Studio fine:  Authentication = Azure Active Directory -Universal with MFA
  • I can connect via Power BI Desktop fine:  Authentication = Microsoft Account
  • I can't connect when using Dataflows.  It gives 2 authentication options. Neither work. 
    • Basic - returns Invalid credentials. 
    • Or, if I select our local Gateway - Windows - also returns Invalid credentials. 

Any insight? 

I think, maybe I need a Microsoft Account option for authentication (but that doesn't seem to be available in Dataflows?) or to setup some junk-level non-MFA login in the Azure SQL Database itself?  Not really sure. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Go it, so the issue was: 

I was using my own login for authentication in Dataflows - but, my login used Azure Active Directory for authenticaion, and Azure SQL Database doesn't support Azure Active Directory authentication. 

Solution:  Setup a new SQL Server user in Azure SQL Database, and connect via that login, using the 'Basic' Authentication option in Power Query. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1 ,

Please check if you ensure firewall rules for the database are configured to "Allow access to Azure services".

manage-server-firewall.png

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks.  We did have [Allow Access to Azure Services]  on already.

Do we need to specify the IP range that Dataflows uses?  (Though isn't it completley dynamic / unpredictable?)

Untitled.png

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1 ,

Just try it. You can refer to this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-server-level-firewall-rule.

Best Regards,
Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Try what, adding the Dataflows IP address as a server-level firewall rule in the Azure SQL Database? 

Isn't the Dataflows IP address dynamic? 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1 ,

You can try to enable the access of Power BI not dataflow to Azure SQL via whitelisting the IP addresses, for your data region, in your firewall. However, the IP range of Power BI server is updated weekly.  Moreover, it could be different each time within each region. So, you have to monitor and update the IP range on time to ensure Power BI can always fetch data successfully.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-communication#ports.

If the issue is still there and you are a pro user, I suggest you to create a support ticket to get further help.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks for confirming the IP addresses vary.  That cofirm it woudln't be (to my way of thinking) a very solid solution then. 

It seems as if Azure SQL Database doesn't support Azure Active Directory.  At least, Azure SQL Datawarehouse doesn't, and I'm guessing maybe SQL Database is the same. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-create-use

I'm going to try to get someone with the necessary permissions, to setup a SQL Server login, and see if that works for Dataflows.  

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1 ,

Oh, I didn't notice this. It turned out that I was in the wrong direction. Anyway, wish you success.

Best Regards,

Icey

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Go it, so the issue was: 

I was using my own login for authentication in Dataflows - but, my login used Azure Active Directory for authenticaion, and Azure SQL Database doesn't support Azure Active Directory authentication. 

Solution:  Setup a new SQL Server user in Azure SQL Database, and connect via that login, using the 'Basic' Authentication option in Power Query. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors