Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stvcdms
Frequent Visitor

Connecting and refreshing Excel workbook data

Hello,

As part of our effort to build dashboards in Power BI, our first step is providing Excel Workbooks with simple pivot tables for the initial data analysis. Currenly I can't see a way to provide an Excel workbook with the credentials for the Power Query datasources. The source is a DB using DB credentials. We want to make the workbook available for others to download and use locally as we work on providing company wide Power BI dashboards. Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not entirely sure I understand your exact use case.

If you use Power Query to create your data sources and when loading, use "Connection only" and "Load to data model" then you Excel should store those credentials. You could create your pivot tables from the data model and then you could upload and share the workbook via OneDrive. Further, you could Connect or Import your Excel file from OneDrive to Power BI, creating reports and dashboards and share the dashboards with your users as well.

Not sure if this is your use case or not so let me know.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for the reply.

Yes! This is my use case, so the issue may be that I am not first using a "connection only" query. I am using a query to pull directly into the data model. When another user gets the workbook, they get prompted for the credentials of the DB. They can't juse refresh the data. 

If I am understanding you correctly, by using a connection only query first, that should store the DB credentials so anyone who gets the workbook can refersh the data?

Just to clarify other reading this later. There does not appear to be any way to store credentials in a query. Each user will have to reauthenticate to the data source for the queries to start working again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors