Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

meepoknang
Frequent Visitor

Connecting PowerBI to Dynamics 365

I tried to have my PBI to connect to a dataflow entity, which is setup to pull data from Dynamics 365.

1. first create new entity in PowerBI dataflow. I enter Dynamics 365 URL, signed in using my organisation account details, and could see all the tables/objects such as account, opportunity, etc. I could also see the preview of the tables.  The result is all the entities are visible on the dataflow page.  (see screenshot below). 

Entities created after setting up dataflowEntities created after setting up dataflow
  2.  I then connect my PBI to the dataflow using "Get Data" -> "PowerBI Dataflow". When I navigate to the object,  there's nothing in the preview. (see screenshot below)
    Empty table when getting data from PowerBI PBIEmpty table when getting data from PowerBI PBI

here lie 2 questions,

1. Why can't I see any data in my PBI? I click on "refresh" after saving the dataflow setup, but to no avail.
  2. Assuming I can get all the data, the question is how can I pull in data I need based on business values rather than internal system id? For e.g. "modifiedBy" is a column of GUID rather than business friendly ID. 
  3. system idsystem id

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @meepoknang ,

Have you check dataflow service side to confirm refresh operation succeed? 

BTW, I don't think they will use normal records id to create relationship. GUID is more security(it is hard to manually find out correspond true records id) to use and it can also avoid duplicate id conflict for relationship mapping.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

on PowerBI side, I see that the refresh service failed, but can't see the details.

HI @meepoknang ,

I can't find any similar issues and reproduce your issue, maybe you can open a support ticket to ask power bi team to check background refresh request to confirm where caused the issue.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors