Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting Microsoft Teams File to Gateway

Hello, 

I have connected my Power BI Desktop report to a Teams file. Now I am trying to schedule refreshes via my on-premise gateway. I have tried every authentication method but can not get the data source to connect.

Please see below the gateway error I am getting (Top) and the authentication I am using to connect to the Teams file in desktop (Bottom).

PBI Error.JPG

PBI Cred..JPG

Thank you, 

11 REPLIES 11
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Can you try and change the Privacy Level to none and see if that will refresh the file?

If it does then it is possibly multiple files that are being combined which would need the privacy level to be changed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I changed privacy level to None and re-published. Unfortunately I was still unable to connect this file to the gateway. Any other thoughts? 

Thanks!

Hi there

How are you connecting to the teams file?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I connected using "Web". The URL I put in is the link retrieved by doing "Copy Link to Clipboard" pictured below. This is the only way I have been able to connect an excel file stored in Teams to a Power BI report.

Thanks, 

Stefen

Excel Link.JPG

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please try to use Realtive path in web.contents function, such as change following:

Web.Contents("https://XXX.sharepoint.com/SiteXXX/2020.xls")

to following:

Web.Contents("https://XXX.sharepoint.com/",[RelativePath="SiteXXX/2020.xls"])

or

Web.Contents("https://XXX.sharepoint.com/SiteXXX/",[RelativePath="2020.xls"])

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-lid-msft ,

Thank you for the idea. Unfortunately, when I tried both positions of adding in "RelativePath" in Desktop I could not load the File. I am able to load the file without RelativePath but can not connect it to my Gateway.

Any other thoughts? 

Thanks, 

Hi there

If you can make sure you remove the "?web=1" from the end of the link.

And then it should work, it certainly works for me.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ , 

Yes I am removing the "?web=1" from the end of the link. This enables me to connect to and refresh the file in Desktop however I am unable to connect this data source to my Gateway for Scheduled Refresh.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

What happens if you open the file directly from SharePoint Online and not via teams?

And then get the link from SharePoint online?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am unable to connect to the datasource that way. In order to connect successfully I have to get the link as shown above.

Hi there

I am sure that you can connect to the file, you just have to find the location of the files.

If you had to remove the file name and put that into a browser I am sure that it will take you to the location where the files are stored?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors