Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vspatel
Frequent Visitor

Connecting Dax Studio To Service Dataset

I'm aware that we can connect Dax Studio to a dataset published on service. However, I want to know if one can update calculations (measures, columns, tables) from Dax Studio and save it directly to dataset published on service?

Why I want to know? 

As admin, I have restricted access to download datasets. So, I want to give a tool to report developers where they can preview data and test measures, without changing anything to the dataset published on service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mariussve1
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

Dax studio can not save measures or anything back to the model in service. This requires xmla writing properties that dax studio does not have.

This is what ex. Tabular Editor has.

PS! You have to enable XMLA Write on capacity level, so if this is on Read only (default) you cant Write back to the model in service with any tools.

br

Marius

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vspatel
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! This is perfect

mariussve1
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi,

Dax studio can not save measures or anything back to the model in service. This requires xmla writing properties that dax studio does not have.

This is what ex. Tabular Editor has.

PS! You have to enable XMLA Write on capacity level, so if this is on Read only (default) you cant Write back to the model in service with any tools.

br

Marius

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors