Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dali748
Helper II
Helper II

Connected to SQL database, can't setup scheduled refreshes (greyed out)?

I created a report in "Desktop" that connects to a SQL database table, I then published this to "Service" and when I try to setup a "Scheduled Refresh" I noticed it's all greyed out.  Also, the "Data Source Credentials" section is all greyed out too.

Within "Desktop" I can refresh the data and it updates and then I have to pulbish this again to "Service" so it shows the latest data but I would like this to happen automatically with "Scheduled Refresh".

Does anyone know why this is greyed out for me?  How can I get this to work properly?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I assume your database is on premises.   this will work fine in power bi desktop,  but once you publish to the service in order for it to refresh ,  you must have a Data Gateway installed on premises in order for Power BI service to proxy into your databases.

Do you have a Power BI data gateway installed on your environment.   If you don't then you need to in order to refresh it through the service.

Thank you for the replies!

I ended up installing and registering a gateway, it looked like everything worked properly but an issue I notice is if I try to open up the "On-premises data gateway" software I see the attached error now.  How did everything istall properly and now when I re-open the software I see this?

on-premise-gateway-error.PNG

I then went to "Service" and under one of my datasets I configured a data source under my gateway cluster and I set the schedule to update daily; please see screenshot below.

configured-gateway.PNG

Some questions I have:

1. Is there a way I can run this now to test and see if my data gets updated on this report?

2. Is this going to run properly even though I'm receiving that error when I open up the "On-premises data gateway" software?

3. I have other reports that connect to this same database but different tables, do I have to create "new data sources" under my gateway for each other report?  I tried selecting this "Datamart Source" data source for another report and it didn't give me the option.

Thank you, again!

Hi @Dali748 

I would recommend first making sure that the Gateway is installed and you do not get those errors.

Possibly try and re-install them again.

To answer your questions

1.  You can test it by going into your dataset, then clicking on the three dots and selecting "Refresh Now"

image.png

2. If you get it showing that is successfully installed it should work fine.

3. You can use the same data source if the tables belong in the same dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

In order to refresh On-Premise data, as in your example SQL Server, you will need to install and configure the On-Premise Data Gateway.

Here are details on how to get this done:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

And to configure SQL Server:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-sql-tutorial

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors