Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JoachimSA
Helper II
Helper II

Connected Excel Tables from Power BI as Power Query ?

Hi folks,

I got this feature running and it is amazing! DAX seems to be changeable, too!

I build some DAX queries in DAX Studio and just pasted them over the one created by the service on export...very slick.

To use this effectively now I would like to read this data into my Data model in Excel. At the moment I am importing the Connected table on the spreadsheet to power query which does not seem elegant...especially for larger Tables!
Is there a way to get those connected tables as Queries in my Excel Power Query directly ??

Thanks and best regards

4 REPLIES 4
JoachimSA
Helper II
Helper II

I think you understood it right.

I would like to Query my online PBI dataset using the newly announced connected tables. I like that I can produce a flat table using DAX instead of connecting via Pivot Table using "Analyze in Excel". I found this to become rather slow if you need a lot of columns/dimensions to produce a rather wide flat table. Using a DAX expression seems way more adequate.

I would just like to be able to work with this flat table in power query... 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JoachimSA ,

It seems that I have misunderstod the meaning. You want to connect Power BI dataset in the Excel?

Start in Microsoft Excel to connect to Power BI datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If so, you can refer to the document to see if it helps you.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JoachimSA ,

You cannot create a DirectQuery / Live connection to an Excel spreadsheet per Microsoft's documentation on Power BI data sources.

vpollymsft_0-1675391590106.png

If it still does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Alright so that means that I would have to import the tble to a spreadsheet inside the excel and then have power query import that table right ?

If I wanted to go straight to power query inside my Excel file I would have to recreate my online Dataset as a Datamart an then use SQL to query it, right ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors