Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SHDJason
Advocate II
Advocate II

Connect to folder?

Is there any way to get data from a folder (read all files in a folder like in desktop) using Power BI online. Reading from any online file directory--onedrive, onedrive for biz, dropbox, anything? I'm not finding an answer for this.

Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@SHDJason

Through Power BI Service, we can only select one file in the OneDrive folder. Selecting a folder which contains multiple files in OneDrive at the same time is not supported now.

You can vote this idea here to push this function supported in the future.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
apihut
Frequent Visitor

How is that a "Solved!" one?!?!

When it says "Currently is not supported. Please vote."

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@SHDJason

Through Power BI Service, we can only select one file in the OneDrive folder. Selecting a folder which contains multiple files in OneDrive at the same time is not supported now.

You can vote this idea here to push this function supported in the future.

Best Regards,

Herbert

There is a workaround.  Goto file explorer.  Drill down to the folder that contains the files you want to load.    Do not select a single file.  Click in the addess window to highlight the file path.  Then copy the file path into the folder path box in Power BI.  It will commence the process of loading all the files in that folder into the query editor and combine them.  You cannot drill down and select individual files.  This seems to address the problem highlighted by others.  I find it curious that Microsoft limited the function of loading multiple files from folders in this manner.

KevinKlar_0-1672514608220.png

KevinKlar_1-1672514726764.png

That's a bummer. I'll definately be voting that one up.

What if I use Azure Blob storage or something like that?

@SHDJason

We can get data from Azure Blob storage from Power BI Desktop. If you have multiple files in a container. You can select the container as below.

As we can see, in every line we will see all the files in our repository, and at the first column we will click on the option Binary to open the file. You can take a look at this article for reference.

Connect to folder_3.jpgConnect to folder_1.jpgConnect to folder_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Click the + next to datasets and select files (for onedrive). For dropbox you could Install the gateway and access it from your PC. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors