Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PBIUser007
Frequent Visitor

Connect to SharePoint List from Power BI Service

Hi all,
Is it possible to connect to a SharePoint List from power Bi service?

I can connect to a list from power BI desktop and publish it to service. But I'm limited by the factor that I can do only 8 scheduled refreshes per day as I use a power BI pro license.

My understanding is that if you connect to SharePoint from power BI service an auto refresh happens every hour. But I could only connect to excel, and csv files maintained in SharePoint from service. Is there a way to connect to a SharePoint list from service?

Thanks in Advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PBIUser007 ,

Maybe I am not fully understanding the problem - but, yes, the Service will update hourly from a SharePoint List as well.  You may need a gateway but if you are online then you are ok.  Yo mention OneDrive.  If you have a document in OneDrive, you can have that refresh every hour as well.  (Up to the 8 that you get with the Pro license.)  These are two separate things - you have a file in OneDrive or you have a SharePoint List - but they can both be updated up to 8 times a day.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBIUser007 ,

You may need to have the gateway setup to reach the SharePoint list if your SharePoint is inside your firewall.  If it is online, there should be no fundamental difference between getting to the csv files in SharePoint versus a list.  Be sure that you are using the right connector - SharePoint Online List or SharePoint List - to connect to a list in SharePoint.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@collinq thanks for the response. I'm able to connect to a SharePoint list from desktop using SharePoint online connector. But then I need to set up scheduled refreshes to update the data in my report (only 8 refreshes per day as my report is in a shared capacity).

I'm looking for an option to see if I can connect to SharePoint list from service so that I can enable one drive refresh (hourly update). Do you think it is possible to connect to a SharePoint list from power BI service?

Thanks in advance,

Hi @PBIUser007 ,

Maybe I am not fully understanding the problem - but, yes, the Service will update hourly from a SharePoint List as well.  You may need a gateway but if you are online then you are ok.  Yo mention OneDrive.  If you have a document in OneDrive, you can have that refresh every hour as well.  (Up to the 8 that you get with the Pro license.)  These are two separate things - you have a file in OneDrive or you have a SharePoint List - but they can both be updated up to 8 times a day.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@collinq Thanks a lot. Earlier my understanding was that a onedrive refresh will happen 24 times even with a pro license. Now I get that it will happen only 8 times if you have a pro license. 

Many Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors