Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mstrande
Resolver I
Resolver I

Connect report in workspace A to dataset in workspace B

Hi,

I have a problem. I have one report based on a dataset in workspace A and then when I created a new report based on the same dataset it isnt possibly to publish the report to another workspace. Workspace B. Why? I have the 2 different workspaces due to that it is different persons reading. Please guide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mstrande ,

Based on this document : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-across-workspaces

If you create this report in Power BI Desktop based on dataset of power bi service ,  you can publish it to different workspaces, as long as their datasets are in new experience workspaces.

Building a report on top of a dataset in a different workspace requires the new workspace experience at both ends: The report needs to be in a new workspace experience and the dataset needs to be in a new workspace experience.

Please also check that you have Build permission to build new content on the dataset and edit permission to create report in the target workspace.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mstrande ,

Based on this document : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-across-workspaces

If you create this report in Power BI Desktop based on dataset of power bi service ,  you can publish it to different workspaces, as long as their datasets are in new experience workspaces.

Building a report on top of a dataset in a different workspace requires the new workspace experience at both ends: The report needs to be in a new workspace experience and the dataset needs to be in a new workspace experience.

Please also check that you have Build permission to build new content on the dataset and edit permission to create report in the target workspace.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer a sorry for late respons, has been away.

Now I understand that I have to go to the upgraded version. I dont really understand the benefits but lets see.

M

Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Mstrande check out the Microsoft tutorial here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-copy-reports

Other possibilities: if one of the workspaces you mentioned is your personal workspace then that won't work. It does not appear that you can copy reports to your personal workspace. It may be worth suggesting this idea in the Power BI Idea page. I have created one here that you can vote for if this is your issue: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/39381994-copy-reports-to-personal...

Alternatively, check the permissions to make sure you have full permissions to the report(s) and the workspaces. It is possible that you do not have permission to copy between the workspaces.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors