Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbegg
Helper II
Helper II

Connect dashboard to updated report

Hi, 

I built a report in Desktop and Published it to Power BI Service, where I created a dashboard. I made some simple edits to the report within Service, then downloaded the .pbix file and made further edits in Desktop.

I then re-published the report to the Service.

How do I repoint the dashboard to the new version of the report?

I have tried re-publishing the report with the same file name as the original report, but Power BI doesn't recognise they are the same. I end up with 2 reports with the same file name in the Service.

Thanks in advance? 

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mbegg

When you upload the report, it actually is stored with a GUID of some type, so that is possibly why it does not link back to the dashboard.

One option is to just go into your new report and link the items back into your existing dashboard and delete the ones not working.

Another option is to go into your uploaded report and copy the link for the page that your dashboard item is from.

Then go into the properties for your dashboard tile, and where it says Custom URL put in the URL?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

link the items back into your existing dashboard 

@GilbertQ do you mean re-pin each page/tile to the dashboard? Or to put it another way, to rebuild the entire dashboard because I have changed the underlying report? 

Hi @mbegg

One option is to re-create the Dashboard tiles, by re-pininng them all.

Another option is to use the Set Custom Link. And to get the link you would go into your report and copy the URL from there.

NOTE: Each report page will have a different "ReportSection" depending on which page you are on.

image4

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ I am keen to avoid re-creating the dahsboard so tried option 2. 

Two issues:

1. The option to set custom link is greyed out if I have pinned a live page to the dashboard. 
  2. I can do what you suggest if I have pinned a tile. If I click on the tile from the dashboard, it will go to the updated report per the link, but the tile on the dashboard doesn't display the KPI value from the updated report. It still shows the value from the old report. 

Hi @mbegg,

I would suggest you add this as an idea on Power BI Ideas to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft thank you for the suggestion

Hi @mbegg

Ok if it was a live page pinned, then you will have to pin it again to the same Dashboard.

Likewise because the original dashboard tile was linked to the older report, it will not update. So your only solution is to re-pin it all from the new report unfortunately.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors