Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BrookBracewell2
Frequent Visitor

Connect a Report to a Data Model in a different workspace

I have a workspace which holds my data models, which then feed reports in Functional workspaces.

Where I would normally grant access to the data model (Not the entire workspace) This functionality has stopped working.

I want users to access a report connected to a data model without providing full access to the datamodel workspace.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

*Edit* they appear to need the role of "Member" too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrookBracewell2 

Eliminate the problem of the work area and license, then you must determine whether your data set has applied RLS. Please refer to the fourth point I mentioned above.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrookBracewell2 

Eliminate the problem of the work area and license, then you must determine whether your data set has applied RLS. Please refer to the fourth point I mentioned above.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks so much. it turns out I had been experimenting with RLS and forgot to remove it!  the error's are not what I would have expected, but you were 100% correct

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrookBracewell2 

(1)If you want other users to access your report ,except the read access for the report ,the users also need license .Users need Pro licenses or the report created in Premium capacity .

So if you have granted the read access for users ,but the users still can’t access the report ,please check whether they have licenses .

(2)For new workspace , there are four roles : Admin, Member, Contributor, or Viewer.

If you grant Member roles for users ,that means they have full access except permissions related to workspace .So if you just want the users access the report not the data model ,you only need grant them Viewer roles .

More info about roles can refer to the link below .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-roles-new-workspaces

(3)If you don’t want the users to access report by workspace , you can create an app with the report ,then share the link of the app for users ,they can through the app link to access report . Licenses are still necessary .

More info about App can refer to the following link .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-distribute-apps

(4) There is also a special case that RLS is included in the report . If you configure RLS in report ,and the users that want to access the report are not in the RLS account list ,they cannot access the report .

More info about RLS can refer to the link below .

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

Workspace members assigned AdminMember, or Contributor have edit permission for the dataset and, therefore, RLS doesn’t apply to them.

I hope the information I provided will be helpful for you to troubleshoot the problem . Looking forward to your reply !

Best Regards

OK- let me strip out some variables 

I have a user BITestUser who has view access to a workspace "DataModels"
Here I have multiple data sets, with the default report attached to them.

The user can view one of the older reports in this workspace- but gets error messages with the new one

The errors are what I am encountering on the App. This proved the issue to be local to the dataset- I think

BrookBracewell2_0-1627978392734.pngBrookBracewell2_1-1627978405083.png

BrookBracewell2_2-1627978428656.png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrookBracewell2 

You can share the report directly to the users who want to access the report.

(1)When you share the report ,you will see a pop-up window Send link ,click the settings “Specific people can view ,share, and build new content” and go to the next operation page.

(2)You can see two settings in the page . If you choose the first one , recipients can reshare your report .If you choose the second one , recipients can create a report based on your dataset associated with the report .

(3)Apply the settings and return to the previous ,then enter the accounts of the recipients, recipients will receive email with the link to access your shared report .

Ailsamsft_0-1626400552703.pngAilsamsft_1-1626400552705.png

Best Regards

I have got that far, to be honest but still failing  - Top level requirement is I don't want users to have access to workspaces where data models are kept, and I don't want them accessing via workspaces- Only via Apps.

I don't want users to have build permissions on data sets

1. I have a centralised data model in a workspace which is not visible to users.  (fig.1)
  2. I have multiple workspaces (and Apps) with users and/or security groups providing access. (fig. 2
  3. I have provided access to the data model itself for the relevant parties with Read Access.
  4. The user (BI Test) can access the workspace, but not the model

Fig 1

BrookBracewell2_0-1626436192175.jpeg

Fig 2

BrookBracewell2_1-1626436206086.jpeg

BrookBracewell2_2-1626436206089.jpeg

BrookBracewell2_3-1626436206096.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors