Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Connect R to a Power BI Service data flow

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect R to a Power BI Service data flow?

I'd like to do all ETL in Power BI data flow and analytics on R. I know it's not possible to run R scripts in data flows, like in Power BI Desktop Power Query, so I could download the data to R Studio and work from there.

Is this possible?

Thanks for helping!

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

One (crazy) way would be to connect from Power BI to the dataflow in Direct Query Mode and then use an R visual against the dataframe.  

Note that not all R libraries are supported in the Power BI service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-r-packages-support

Hi - I doubt that this would be satisfactory.  While R can be used in Power BI to make a visual, if its used to train a machine learning model, then there doesn't appear to be a way to reuse that model in the future.

I have to say, being able to do ETL in Power BI service and analysis in R sounds nice a nice way to operate.

As you know Microsoft is pushing their own AI/ML offerings in the Power BI service. I doubt they will go out of their way to support your use case.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors