Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connect Power BI with CRM Dynamics 365 in Real Time

I'm developing a report with Power BI, which is embedded in Dynamics. I'm connecting to CRM Dynamics 365 online to get the data. The problem is every time there is a new record in CRM dynamics, I have the requeriment to see this new record into the report, e.g if they create a new customer it should be visualized in the embedded report. 

After seeking for information in the internet, I'm not sure if this is possible. Facts:

-I have a Power BI Pro license.

-I know it is imposible to connect via Direct Query from Power BI to CRM Dynamics Online.

-One solution could be use a third party program to push data from CRM to SQL Server and connect with Direct Query from Power BI to SQL Server.

-Refresh the data 8 times a day (this solution is ruled from client).

-I've read about Power BI rest API and Push dataset but is not clear to me if it applies to what I need.

Any suggestion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous, let me firstly elaborate on your last point: Push dataset is for getting rows in a Power BI dataset via the API. So this is not applicable for your case.

Secondly, unfortunately I think there's no way to "live" connect to your CRM instance with Power BI. It can only be done on a refresh basis, whether manual or scheduled.

There was a similar question posted a few years back: Whether Power Bi can access live data from MS CRM Online/Prem.

And another one a bit more recent: Sql server to dynamics crm to power bi

And one a few months ago: Do we have an option to use direct query for dynamics 365 online.

They all share the same conclusion, direct query is not possible, but you could submit an idea.

I understood your question "it should be visualized in the embedded report" as: it should be available right away in the Power BI report. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want it to "just show up some time later", then refreshing the dataset is an option.

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com
Twitter: @NickyvV

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

As nickyvv said, current you can't use normal connectors to link dynamic CRM data sources with live mode. 

For your requirement, I'd like to suggest you try to use custom connector to manually custom personal connector with a specific data source.

As the following document mentioned, you can enable direct query mode on the ODBC driver. (I also check dynamic CRM documents and fount it supports to use odbc driver to get data: Dynamics CRM ODBC Driver (32/64 bit) )

Enabling direct query for a data source via an odbc driver 

M Extensions custom connector#next-steps 

Use custom data connectors with the on-premises data gateway 

If you are interested in custom connector, you can post to develop forum to get further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous, let me firstly elaborate on your last point: Push dataset is for getting rows in a Power BI dataset via the API. So this is not applicable for your case.

Secondly, unfortunately I think there's no way to "live" connect to your CRM instance with Power BI. It can only be done on a refresh basis, whether manual or scheduled.

There was a similar question posted a few years back: Whether Power Bi can access live data from MS CRM Online/Prem.

And another one a bit more recent: Sql server to dynamics crm to power bi

And one a few months ago: Do we have an option to use direct query for dynamics 365 online.

They all share the same conclusion, direct query is not possible, but you could submit an idea.

I understood your question "it should be visualized in the embedded report" as: it should be available right away in the Power BI report. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If you want it to "just show up some time later", then refreshing the dataset is an option.

Did this help you or did I answer your question?
Then please give kudos or mark my post as a solution!
My blog: nickyvv.com
Twitter: @NickyvV

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors