Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MartinVollaard
Frequent Visitor

Connect Power BI to Microsoft Azure Blob container with shared access signature

Hi all,

With data flows you can connect to a Azure blob container in with account key but is there a way to connect to a file in the container with a shared access signature using the data flows in Power BI services? In Power Bi Desktop you can connect directly to json file using the string with signature. 

https://XXXXX.blob.core.windows.net/path/file.json?sv=2019-01-01&si=something&sr=c&sig=123456abcdefg...

If i'm using this url for a json-file in data flows it either gives me:

DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://XXXXX.blob.core.windows.net/path/file.json' (404): The specified resource does not exist.. (and yes the url is correct while power bi desktop accepts it without issues)

Or it keeps asking me for verification whatever I choose.

Even copying the query from Power BI Desktop as an empty query in the data flows keeps failing on verification. 

So in short: can it be done what I'm attempting or not? If it can be done I would appriciate some feedback in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MartinVollaard,

Are you trying to provide the credentials within the URL? From PG, that flow is not supported for Dataflows, they suggest to use basic authentication instead.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MartinVollaard,

I have emailed to product team to consult this problem. Would update my reply here once I get any response.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much so far!

Hi @MartinVollaard,

Are you trying to provide the credentials within the URL? From PG, that flow is not supported for Dataflows, they suggest to use basic authentication instead.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

I would like to maybe use a Shared Access Signature to connect from Power BI to Azure Table Storage, but I don't see that as an option.  As far as I can tell right now, I only see the option to specify the full storage key when connecting Power BI to an Azure Storage Table.  I'm guessing using a Shared Access Signature might be a little more secure.

Hi,

Thank you for the answer and the time spent. I was hoping that the shared access signature would be sufficient. Ik have to add the data source in the model for this. Hopefully this will be supported in the near future.

Regards

Martin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors