Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BetterIdeaGroup
Helper II
Helper II

Connect Power-BI datasets directly in Excel

re: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave2/power-bi/connect-power-bi-dat...

In this article it mentiones "included with E5" but I am not clear on if it should also be available with any Power BI PRO license?  I have a E3 license but also have a  Power BI Pro add-on.  Would be great to get a direct answer on if and when this funtionality should be available to me.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @BetterIdeaGroup ,

I am not sure why that article specifically states that you have to have an E5.  I believe that you just have to have a PBI Pro License and access to the dataset.  I do not have E5 and was able to get to our Datasets, as shown here.

dataset.jpg

Also, the screenshots are a bit old, but the concepts are the same from a post made by  @GilbertQ  at this location:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-enable-Excel-Pro-s-to-use-Power-BI-Datasets/b...

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

@collinq that's a little more basic than we're dealing with here. While I understand your Excel has the ability to connect (I'm guessing you are E5 thus not a good version to compare) as you can see it's not available in my E3 subscription which was the point of this post.

Frankly I think this is "as designed" today but am hopeful that a Microsoft support rep can take this issue up the chain.

BetterIdeaGroup_0-1601999428918.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @BetterIdeaGroup ,

I am not sure why that article specifically states that you have to have an E5.  I believe that you just have to have a PBI Pro License and access to the dataset.  I do not have E5 and was able to get to our Datasets, as shown here.

dataset.jpg

Also, the screenshots are a bit old, but the concepts are the same from a post made by  @GilbertQ  at this location:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-enable-Excel-Pro-s-to-use-Power-BI-Datasets/b...

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@col  not sure what add-in you have in Excel but my get data menu in excel does NOT have a powerBI dataset as an option.  Also, I did drill thru your link and after an exhaustive search no add-in seems to be available anymore. (e.g. 
shows a nice ribbon - not be be found anywhere. It even mentions:
    "If your SKU does not support this feature, the Get Data menu option does not appear"
  which I guess gives more credibility to E5 vs E3. I have no issue gaining access to PowerBI datasets when I start from their service, I just do not have the fancy new widget for starting in Excel and pulling from datasets - that was the spirit of the post as IMHO if I am paying for a Power BI license they should allow access to Power BI directly in Excel

Hey @BetterIdeaGroup ,

You may have to add that to the menu/ribbon?  These are the screenshots in case you have to add it to the ribbon and where I am getting the dataset option.

This is the file options screen for the ribbon modification

excel12.jpg

Excel11.jpg

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@collinq that's a little more basic than we're dealing with here. While I understand your Excel has the ability to connect (I'm guessing you are E5 thus not a good version to compare) as you can see it's not available in my E3 subscription which was the point of this post.

Frankly I think this is "as designed" today but am hopeful that a Microsoft support rep can take this issue up the chain.

BetterIdeaGroup_0-1601999428918.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors