Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connect PBI Service to AWS Snowflake

Hi all

We've got Power BI Service set up on Azure, and Snowflake is being set up on an AWS instance.  Is the On-Prem Data Gateway required to connect through?  Does it have to be set up on a VM in Azure, or can we put it on an EC2 on another AWS account?  Or is there anything that's managed by Azure (since our team is AWS focused, we don't really have any capability to support ongoing management and maintenance of Azure infrastructure)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You would need a Gateway to connect from the Power BI Service to AWS.

The Gateway would need to be installed on a VM in AWS that would need to be able to connect outwards to the Power BI Service.

In terms of the connection, you should be able to use the Snowflake connector in Power BI Desktop.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You would need a Gateway to connect from the Power BI Service to AWS.

The Gateway would need to be installed on a VM in AWS that would need to be able to connect outwards to the Power BI Service.

In terms of the connection, you should be able to use the Snowflake connector in Power BI Desktop.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

We did the same and published a report. The report is refreshing wothout a gateway.

So we are able to connect power BI ( azure) with snowflake ( AWS) without a gateway. All we did was configured the credentials under data source management. Any idea on how this is working?

Would it be possible to how the data source that you used under the data source management?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @GilbertQ I did not get your question. Can you be more descriptive please?

Hi there

What I asked was, is what does the data source properties look like when connecting to Snowflake?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors