Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ralfvanwijk
Regular Visitor

Connect MS Dynamics Finance to Power BI Online

Hi,

I have created .pbix dashboard based on various Excel files and Odata connection to Dynamics. In order to schedule the refresh. I have created gateway and added the Excel source files. 

Question: how can I add MS Dynamics 365 as a datasource to this process? I have to tried to add it as a datasource in the gateway but that does not work. I looks like I don't have to add Dynamics to the gateway but how can I than added to the refresh schedule?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Ralf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ralfvanwijk 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,you have two data sources ,the cloud one don't need to add to gateway,but there are a few things to note here.

1.In gateway cluster settings,you need to enable a button:"Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster. These cloud data sources do not need to be configured under this gateway cluster".

2.You need to check if you need edit the data source's credentials in the datasets setting,then set schedule refresh in PBI.

8.png9.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ralfvanwijk
Regular Visitor

Hi Janey Guo,

thanks for your help. It partly solved my problem however I still haven't been able to activate the refresh schedule. 

I'm fasing an issue with the credentials.... somehow power bi online does not accept the creditals for the odata cloud account for Dynamics 365..... I use the same credentials as I use in the power BI desktop file (in this PBIX file the credentials are working for Dynamics 365)

ralfvanwijk_0-1607081475023.png

Any idea what could be the problem?

For your information the Dynamics account is a full admin account with all rights.

Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards,

Ralf

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ralfvanwijk 

It’s my pleasure to answer for you.

According to your description,you have two data sources ,the cloud one don't need to add to gateway,but there are a few things to note here.

1.In gateway cluster settings,you need to enable a button:"Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster. These cloud data sources do not need to be configured under this gateway cluster".

2.You need to check if you need edit the data source's credentials in the datasets setting,then set schedule refresh in PBI.

8.png9.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @ralfvanwijk ,

You only need a gateway when you are trying to reach/refresh data within your firewalled system.  When you go cloud-to-cloud you do not need a gateway.  If you have a schedule refresh time, then the report will refresh your Dynamics data. 

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors