Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wmorris20
Helper II
Helper II

Connect Live - SSAS - Update Frequency

We have an enterprise data gateway succesfully setup with live connections to SQL Server, SSAS MD, and SSAS Tab.  When viewing the refresh history, it shows that the refreshes are happening roughly every 30 minutes; however, the documentation I have read makes it sound to me like the data should refresh on interaction.  Is there a configuration in the data source or on-premise data gateway that defines that update frequency?  Or is this a configuration that is controlled by Microsoft?

11 REPLIES 11

@wmorris20 Are you referring to the new Service view where it shows the refresh time on the dataset? Or perhaps the dashboard?

Dashboard tiles should refresh every 15 minutes (this could be the 30 you are seeing)

I am assuming that the refresh times that show on the dataset are referring to that 15/30 for dashboard tiles because you should have access to the live data if you are actually interacting with the report visuals. I understand that there is more than likely a cache window for visual interaction, but it shouldn't be anywhere near 30 minutes...

Have you found that the data is actually old compared to what is in your model, or are you just referring to the refresh times as you see them?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for your response.  I'm good with the Dashboard refresh frequency.  I'm referring to the refresh of the connection to the dataset/model.  I know the model is updated on-premise in my test scenario, because I processed a simple value change.  Once the next update shows in the refresh history, the report that's using the live connection dataset reflects the change.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Capture.JPG

@wmorris20 So when you refresh the model, and you interact with the report in the Service, what is the result? Do you see the new value, or not until this "refresh" happens?

I would expect that you should see the new value when you interact with your report, regardless of this refresh history.

I am also assuming that the only reason you see this on a live connection is the cache that supports the dashboard tiles is on this 30 minute schedule...

If either of the above are not correct, or not what you are seeing, I'm very interested...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I added a slicer to the report thinking that it had to be a literal interaction and not just refreshing the page/report, but that didn't work either.  Here are some examples using the Adventure Works data and manipulating sales amount:

Power BI Online:

Capture1.JPG

On-Premise Version (Desktop):

Capture2.JPG

Power BI Online after Refresh History shows update:

Capture3.JPG

@wmorris20 I read your question in this way: You are updating the SSAS model and when you then interact with the report in the Service (Use slicer, interact with visuals for filtering purposes) the updated information is not showing. -> If this is the case, this is a bug and you should submit this as an issue.

I've confirmed with the team that this should interaction should show the latest information, and the caching process that you see in the history shouldn't be the only time the data is refreshing.

Correct, I have a confirmed updated model (via Power BI Desktop); however, the online version via data gateway is not showing updated data until the (~30 min) refresh happens.

@wmorris20 That is a bug. It should be showing you the updated data as you interact with it.

Hi @wmorris20,

As far as I know, if we connect to on-premise data sources use live connection or DirectQuery mode, when we interact with a visualization, queries are sent from Power BI directly to the database. Updated data is then returned and visualizations are updated. It's corresponding to the results which you have found. As schedule refresh is not supported in this scenario, we are not able to set refresh frequency. For more information, please refer to this article: Live connections and DirectQuery to on-premises data sources.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Qiuyun, when in DirectQuery mode (via SQL Server live connection), the data updates on interaction as you stated.  The issues is when I have a live connection interacting with SSAS.

Thanks,

Ward

Hi @wmorris20,

I can reproduce the issue with SSAS tabular in live connection intermittently. And I already report this issue internally, will update here once I get any feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun,

Just wondering if you have got any update regarding this problem? 

Thanks!

Lexi

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors