Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisnewman
Helper I
Helper I

Confusion of the dataset size limit for a refresh in powerbi service with Pro

I need to try and get to the bottom of something that should be very simple but the PowerBI documentation is extremely hard to understand. I can’t get much further until I have this sorted…

I’ve been advised to try and use import rather than direct query.  I’ve therefore built a pbix file with a sample local SQL database to keep it below the 1GB limit to be able to Publish.  This works fine.  When it is in powerbi.com it is then looking at the full off premises SQL database through a gateway.  When it then tries to refresh it fails as its above 1GB. I thought I should be able to refresh up to a 10GB dataset as per the link if I have the correct resource?  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chrisnewman ,

Is your License Pro or Premium? The capacity for Pro is 1GB and the Premium can refresh upto 12GB size.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Best Regards,
- Pavan M.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KBO
MVP

Hi @chrisnewman ,

as you see in the documentation it depends on your capacity settings. 10GB is for A6 or P3 ;). (Premium Capacity (P); Embedded Capacity (A))

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Thanks for coming back.  I'm expecting the size to be 1.3GB so I set the capacity to A4 and it failed saying it was above 1024MB...

HI @chrisnewman ,

have you set the capacity on a specific Workspace or on the hole tenant? May be it will work if you set this to a specific workspace. I'm not the capacity expert but thats what I would do :D.

Best Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chrisnewman ,

Is your License Pro or Premium? The capacity for Pro is 1GB and the Premium can refresh upto 12GB size.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-what-is

Best Regards,
- Pavan M.

Thanks Pavan. So to be clear, if my refreshed dataset in servive is 0.9GB I can pay $9 a month with a Pro and and Embedded. And I can have 10 of these or so, i.e. up to 10GB total.

If any single one is 1.1GB I have to pay around $5,000 a month to have Premium?

I'm not being facetious, I've literally beeing trying for months and going through every link I can find and you are being the most help I've come across!

Many thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors