Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

legaldeveloper

Confused with pricing with Power BI Embeded

Hi, I'm a bit confused with the Pro licence with the Power BI Embeded.

If I have a report/set of reports which use none of the Pro features so essentially all users can just be on the free account as I understand it. However, once I introduce Power BI Embeded into the equation there is a caveat on the pricing page saying "Power BI Embedded is not intended for use within your organisation’s internal business applications unless your internal users are also covered by a Power BI Pro User Subscription Licence (USL)." Now does this mean that as long as you still respect the Pro features you are able to use this or does it mean that to use embded every user requires a pro licence.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@legaldeveloper Two different Solutions:

Power BI Embedded: Is an Azure Service/workspace set up that allows you to use Power BI Desktop files and embed them into "External" facing applications. The pricing for this offering is based on external usage of the report. You cannot use this in internal applications.

Using PBI Developer Tools to Embed: This solution requires that the end user already have access to the report/dashboard. Essentially, you need to set up and share content the same way you normally do, but you are just having the user go to an application to view the report. Details here. and here

I'm not certain on whether embedding itself requires a Pro license.

and those links were highlighted in this overall page here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @legaldeveloper,

Now does this mean that as long as you still respect the Pro features you are able to use this or does it mean that to use embded every user requires a pro licence.

In the Microsoft Power BI Embedded usage model, licensing for Power BI is not the responsibility of the end-user. Instead, sessions are purchased by the developer of the app that is consuming the visuals, and are charged to the subscription that owns those resources.

Please refer to the link below to see the details.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-what-is-power-bi-embedded

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @legaldeveloper,

Now does this mean that as long as you still respect the Pro features you are able to use this or does it mean that to use embded every user requires a pro licence.

In the Microsoft Power BI Embedded usage model, licensing for Power BI is not the responsibility of the end-user. Instead, sessions are purchased by the developer of the app that is consuming the visuals, and are charged to the subscription that owns those resources.

Please refer to the link below to see the details.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-what-is-power-bi-embedded

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@legaldeveloper Two different Solutions:

Power BI Embedded: Is an Azure Service/workspace set up that allows you to use Power BI Desktop files and embed them into "External" facing applications. The pricing for this offering is based on external usage of the report. You cannot use this in internal applications.

Using PBI Developer Tools to Embed: This solution requires that the end user already have access to the report/dashboard. Essentially, you need to set up and share content the same way you normally do, but you are just having the user go to an application to view the report. Details here. and here

I'm not certain on whether embedding itself requires a Pro license.

and those links were highlighted in this overall page here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors