Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

electrobrit
Post Patron
Post Patron

Confused by App Workspace and Group Workspace-how to update from desktop?

I can usually understand things but the difference in the apps and the workspaces is so confusing. You have to add people to view in both places, it's unclear to me who can see, in both places are links. Anyway, when I try to refresh from desktop and I click on publish, the apps aren't there. How do I refresh? anyone have any tips to understand differences and how to manage?  thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@electrobrit An App Workspace is the new name for Group Workspaces. They are the same(ish). The only difference, is that you can create an App, from an App Workspace. This App is currently a 1 to 1 mapping to the App Workspace. So, once you create an App, it is the view of the workspace that it came from. 
After you publish the App, you can refresh/add more content to the workspace without App owners seeing anything. You can then update the App when you are ready and the new objects you've deployed to the workspace will be seen.

The App workspace doesn't need to be published to an App to share, you can still share dashboards from them in the same manner as you did previously.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@electrobrit An App Workspace is the new name for Group Workspaces. They are the same(ish). The only difference, is that you can create an App, from an App Workspace. This App is currently a 1 to 1 mapping to the App Workspace. So, once you create an App, it is the view of the workspace that it came from. 
After you publish the App, you can refresh/add more content to the workspace without App owners seeing anything. You can then update the App when you are ready and the new objects you've deployed to the workspace will be seen.

The App workspace doesn't need to be published to an App to share, you can still share dashboards from them in the same manner as you did previously.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors