Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Confused about what qualifies as "Power BI Pro content"

I love Power Query and Powerpivot. They have changed my whole workflow. So I have really been looking forward to the major rollout of Power BI.

I finally got the chance today to use Power BI, and I've hit a roadblock: I have created a dashboard for a co-worker, but when I tried to share it with him, I got a warning that states "This dashboard contains Power BI Pro content. Only users that have Power BI Pro will have access to it."

If I can't share my dashboards with coworkers without them being Power BI Pro users, I'm pretty much dead in the water. Also, there's no indication I can see as to exactly which content is for Power BI Pro users only. I'd like to at least know so that I can see if it's possible to remove it, then share my dashboard.

What's the story?

Re: Confused about what qualifies as "Power BI Pro content"

I'm confused about this also now. There is no mention anywhere of Pro only content - there is in relation to functionality which is understandable.

I wonder if something is currently going wrong as I do have a pro licence and I'm now seeing the message on one of my dashboards on my iPhone??

@jeremyfirth @spiderrob Please find a similar thread here which I posted. May be this will help if the team replied. Even I am confused with the licensing part and access rights.

@spiderrob I do got a similar message on my iPad inspite of having a Power BI Pro account.

WP_20150729_001.jpg

I don't understand exactly which account to update and where 

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue.

My report is using Azure Table Storage and Azure SQL

Yes, that is the same message I'm seeing on both ipad & iphone. I have a pro licence but it is the original Office 365/Power BI one - I thought these were migrated across??

Frequent Visitor

So I have done some monkeying around, and I uninstalled and re-installed personal gateway because of some other issues I'm having.

I have determined that if I don't have a scheduled refresh on my dataset, I can share the dashboard with my co-worker. If I add a scheduled refresh, when I try to share the dashboard, I get the warning message shown below, which doesn't really match what I see in the licensing agreements or in the descriptions of the differences between PowerBI Free and PowerBI Pro. I thought that if I am a Pro user (and I am more than happy to pay for this), I should be able to create dashboards that use the Pro features, but share them with anyone. 

Learn More just takes me to the sign up page for PowerBI Pro. I shouldn't have to get every one of my co-workers signed up on a free 60-day trial of PowerBI Pro just to look at my reports. Makes no sense. Is this intentional?

Pr

Power BI Team

Hi All,

We clearly need to make the messaging around the licensing clearer. The key to understanding the Free vs Pro table on the pricing page is to read it from the perspective of the consumer of the content not the creator. The license is fundamentally oriented around consumption. You need a Power BI Pro license to consume any content which uses a feature that is only listed in the Power BI Pro column. Good feedback about making it clearer which specific content in your report or dashboard is using Power BI Pro features. If you want to share content with someone without a Power BI Pro license they need only sign-up for a free license, attempt to take an action which requires a Power BI Pro license and then sign-up for an instant trial of Power BI Pro. That will give you and your recipient time to experience Power BI Pro before deciding whether to purchase.

Please keep the feedback coming and we'll work on being clearer.

Haydn

c_m Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

So everyone who wants to even see a report or dashboard has to have a pro license? Everyone in the organization?

Advisor

If your dashboard does not connect to live data (Analysis Services, possibly SQL Azure) and if the datasets for the dashboards are not being refreshed using the Gateway you should be able to share your dashboards with others.