Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joshcomputer1
Helper V
Helper V

Confused about Gateway Connection- Connect Directly option not there

Power BI Pro user.  I have two workspaces.  Both of these are connecting to files from the web=> Sharepoint.  I want a scheduled rerfresh on both. When I go to settings then Datasets for this one, it shows "Connect Directly" under Gateway Connection. This is what I want.  (see picture 1).  When I go to my other dataset, it shows different options (see picture 2).  Can I only connect directly to one dataset? I don't want to setup a gateway because I don't have a computer that is running at time of refresh. Need help on why the options are different.

Capture1.PNGcapture2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joshcomputer1,

Based on my test, if the dataset only contains data from SharePoint file, the "Connect Directly" option is available. However, if we combine data from SharePoint file and local file or any local data source in a single dataset, we have to configure gateway for this dataset. So please check your second dataset.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RichieRich
Advocate III
Advocate III

I have the same issue. I have removed the original local from from the data however, I'm still getting the requirement for the data gateway and can't update the credentials for the connected Azure database to refresh in the Power BI service. Has anyone come across this issue and a way to go back to the default.

Solved by installing the gateway anyway, this allowed me to get through the step and edit the credentials. Once I had cleared the credential problem, the requirement for the gateway disappeared.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joshcomputer1,

Based on my test, if the dataset only contains data from SharePoint file, the "Connect Directly" option is available. However, if we combine data from SharePoint file and local file or any local data source in a single dataset, we have to configure gateway for this dataset. So please check your second dataset.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I used a template from a local source and combined it with a sharepoint source. This makes sense.  Will need to do some work to replace it. Thanks for sharing!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors